Chapter 24: Should Have Fucking Said Something

I ate some food and then I noticed Daryl walk in with a tall boy. He must've been about 18. He was African American and very lean. He was limping too.

I went over to Daryl and hugged him. "Where have you been? Where's Carol?" I asked as he looked to me.

"I was about to explain to everyone." He said as everyone gathered inside. We sat down and he looked at us.

"Carol and I were out and we saw the car with the white cross. It was the one that took Beth so we got in a car and followed it. It was in Atlanta at Grady Memorial Hospital. We met Noah here and then Carol got hit by a car. They took her in and we came back here." He said as I looked at him shocked. "There's some good news though." He said as he looked to Noah.

"I escaped from there. Beth helped me out." Noah told us. I looked at him shocked. "She was trying to leave too but they got her."

"Is she alive?" I asked quietly looking to him.

"They don't kill workers. She should still be inside and they are probably patching up Carol now too." Noah answered.

"Then we have to go get them." Rick said looking to us. Everyone nodded. "Get some sleep then we will figure it out in the morning. We're gonna get her back."

I looked at Noah worried. I could've stopped Beth from running. I saw her there. I could've told her I was there and we could've gone together. This was my fault. It was my fault she was in this place.

"You okay?" Michonne asked sitting next to me. Her katana was strapped around her again. She got it from one of the cannibals.

"It's my fault Beth got taken." I said looking to her as she looked back at me confused. "At the prison, I saw her running. I wanted to call for her but I was to scared to speak. She kept running. I could've called to her and she wouldn't- she'd be with us." I said looking at Michonne.

"Everyone was scared at the prison. You couldn't help that she went a different way." Michonne shook her head.

"I could've, but I didn't. I have to go tomorrow. I have to help get her and Carol back. I owe it to both of them." I said looking at her.

"You can't. It's too dangerous." Michonne explained caringly to me.

"Yes I can." I replied nodding my head. "I have to." I added.

"We will talk more in the morning." Michonne said as she walked away.

I saw Noah limp over to a seat. I walked over to him. "Did you get hurt on the way here?"

"No it was from before. It's kind of permanent." He explained as I nodded.

"How was Beth? Last time you saw her?" I asked getting straight to the point.

"She was helping save me. She was shooting the rotters and they tackled her while I was running out. She wanted me to go so I did." He answered looking to me.

I looked down sadly. I kept thinking that I could've stopped all of this from happening. I talked to him some more about Atlanta. "Thank you for helping us." I said as I walked away. I went to sleep and woke up the next day. I went inside to help hammer wood onto the windows to keep them shut.

"So?" I asked looking at Michonne after hammering for a while.

"So what?" Rick asked looking over.

"I want to go to Atlanta to save Beth and Carol." I answered looking at Rick.

"You know-" He started.

"It's dangerous and bad things could happen. I know that, but I owe Carol my life and I owe Beth too." I explained looking at him.

"It's safer here. We don't know how many people they have in Atlanta." He said looking at me.