Chapter 30

Hey guys, apologies for the massive gap in updates I've been busy with things related to college and just couldn't find any motivation to write. I hope you enjoy this chapter. Please give it a vote if you like it and comment what you think, the comments really mean the most! Anyway, enjoy!

——

I crushed the third red bull can in my fist the metal slicing my finger. Blood dripped down onto my white top and skirt. I chucked the can behind me into the backseat. "Okay that's enough. No more. No more. No more. Think about the baby. Okay. Okay." I said out loud. Hour 9 of driving and I wasn't faring well. I'd passed Utah's border a couple of hours ago and the GPS told me there was only 30 minutes until Toole where Charles had hidden the money. I tapped the steering wheel and turned the radio on.

"The first of the Fox River 9 has been killed by the FBI today. John Abruzzi was apprehended by the FBI but shortly after died at the scene"

I clawed at the radio desperately trying to turn it off looking up just in time to see the deer running across the road right in front of the car. "OH SHIT" I shout jerking the steering wheel to the side while slamming on the breaks. The car skidded off the road narrowly missing a tree before hitting another one right next to it. The car comes to an abrupt stop the airbag hitting me in the face. Blood flows freely from my nose and my head pounds. I pound the steering wheel and scream into my hands. "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME"

I close my eyes and place a hand on my stomach. "You're okay. You're okay." I whisper.

I get out the car inspecting the mangled bonnet before sighing and grabbed the rucksack from the back and retrieving the GPS from the footwell of the passenger seat where it fell. A large crack runs down the middle but the screen is still on. 13 miles till Toole. I climb up the grassy slope back to the road and start walking.

An hour later and I've walked around three and half miles at a steady pace. I sit by the side of the road and pull out a pack of skittles and a squidgy orange. I hear a car in the distance so shuffle backwards and pull my baseball cap further over my eyes. The noise of the car gets louder and then it stops. I look up slightly. It's not a car at all. It's a bike. "Sucre?"

He smiles down at me widely. "What you doing down there mami?" He extends his arm and pulls me up into a hug.

"I could ask you the same thing! I thought you were going to see your girl why are you down here?" His face falls. "Hey don't worry we don't need to talk about it" I pat his arm gently.

"You want a ride." He asks. "I guess we're going to the same place."

I smile and climbed on the back of the bike wrapping my arms around his stomach. "Lets go."

---

20 minutes later we ride past the sign for Toole. Sucre pulls over near a patch of trees and we both jump off covering the bike in branches and leaves. I turn to Sucre, "Where now?"

He grins and pulls out a scrap of paper with some scribbles resembling a map of sorts. I raise an eyebrow at him. "Trust me." He said.

We walked for about 15 minutes pausing every now and then for Sucre to stare at the map. We climb to the top of a dusty ridge and spread out in front of us a swarm of houses and most noticeably a large oak tree. The last bit of nature in an otherwise concrete and brick landscape. Sucre pointed at large house close to the tree. "There."

The hill is dusty as we go down. I take a step too many and slip grabbing Sucre's arm pulling him down with me. We skid to the bottom, dust and dirt explodes up raining down on us. I let out a laugh but quickly smother it. Sucre turns to me and begins to laugh. We lay back in the dirt and laugh until we cry and it's the happiest I have been in a while.

Eventually we pull ourselves up wiping the tears away but the dust seems ingrained into our skin. We crouch behind a fence a short distance from the house Sucre had pointed out. He turns to me "Okay here's the plan, we wait until we see Michael and then" I cut him off.

"Lincoln is standing right there you know." Sucre pokes his head over the fence.

"Yup. Okay then, lets go with that." He says. We get up and head over the garage door Lincoln just came out of. I grab the handle and take a deep breath.

---

Hope you all have a good holiday/Christmas! Please vote and comment!