25. Spectrum

I was picking the nail polish from my right thumb, I was so nervous. I just got them done, but I was shaking. I tried to calm down, but nothing helped. I had a hot tea while my hair got styled to perfectionism, my brother was backstage and we had a short chat. I heard screaming echoing from the hall, my door was open so as the voices got louder it sounded more like singing. Marie was stumbling into my room. “We have to go up there now!” I felt how all the colour from my face went away.

I shook my head, totally in denial. She groaned jumped up and down – she wore bright yellow pumps – and her freshly curled hair was jumping up and down even more than she. She grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the white room, the door was wide open as we left. Leaving the note with my Name on it lonely hanging there. The rest of her band was piled up on the right corner. I saw all of the contestants, from Lucy to Melanie Masson.

Rylan was smiling from ear to ear. We all knew why, he had the first solo, all of the background dancers were behind him. I felt how the air is electric. Dermot said his last words; Harold who worked backstage pushed Rylan out. Then the music began and then everyone moved.

Just as I was on stage and Titanium was playing I noticed the microphone in my hand. The melody changed and then I opened my mouth and let the music lead me. “When we first came here, we were cold and we were clear…”

I was the third one to go on stage. I had a choreography for Halo; it included me flying into the arena and then a dance routine. But after I changed the song in the last minute, and was now singing ‘How to save a Life’, we also changed the whole performance. The flying thing still existed, but the dancers would be paired in couples and act like they lost a friend. Like in the song, obviously they were so stressed out that they practiced on the hallways and were mad at me.

It did not really get to me; after all they applied for this job and got paid really well. Nevertheless I felt bad for them, but I had to hold it together.  James finished his performance and came back and was really happy. My trailer was starting which meant that I had to get buckled into everything that held me save while I was flying in, Sofie came up with the idea of me wearing a white dress. It had little flower laces sewed from my left shoulder and then the lace was covering my legs and I had trouble walking due the length.

Lenny pulled me up, till I was seeing the arena from above. I wasn’t afraid I would fall; I was afraid I would let my microphone fall and kill someone. I saw me laughing on the huge screen and then everything went blank. Soft music filled the huge hall and I put the mic on my lips and started the first verse. “Step one.” My voice was shaking. I took a deep breath and started the next verse.

I had my eyes closed but felt how everyone’s eyes were on my flying body. I felt like an angel, I moved my arms around like I was flying and then too soon I felt the floor under my heels. The background was held in a glittering gold and I saw that the dancers did a perfect job.

“As he begins to raise his voice.” Tears filled my view. I pictured George, the song was so perfect. Tears were ruining my make-up but I had to be good. I had to get through today. Two male dancers were behind me and then I fall back and let them lift and spin me. As the last beat dropped I was sure I failed.

Seems like I did well, everyone was standing. I was crying because I was overwhelmed. Nicole started: “Oh sweety, stop crying you were so good. She was right?” Again everyone clapped for me. I did not notice that Dermot was standing next to me. “You looked like an angel from above as you were flying on the stage.” I put my hand over my pounding heart, my lips were trembling.

“I have to agree, but to top that. This song was by far the best one you have sung on this show.” Gary said with a proud smile on his lips. “Oh my god.” Was what came out of my mouth. I had to get a hold on Dermot, I did not want to faint. Louis agreed to that and said he was happy to be part of my way. Tulisa was crying as she said she was proud of me and screamed, “I want everyone at home, if you are five or eighty to call for Mila. I beg you to, this girl is one of the best ones the show has had. Not only because of her voice but because of the whole package.”

I could not answer anything after that, I was shaking and nearly fell down the stairs. Rylan caught me by my waist. “Woah, woah. Don’t cha faint, ya hear me!” I giggled and hugged him. His chest raised and fell because he was laughing. He slightly pulled me away from him. “You should get changed quickly before someone is going to see you.” He winked at me and let me standing there. JJ jumped out of the darkness and embraced me into a tight hug.

His aftershave was filling my nostrils and made me calmer than I expected. “You were great.” He was patting my head. He pulled me to the viewing room, everyone embraced me. I noticed that JJ left just as I walked into the room. After a little chat and watching Rylan, I walked out of the room. The dress was itching my back so I tried to open it, I didn’t care it wasn’t like someone who saw me hasn’t seen a girl with a bare back.

I held the end of my dress in my hands; I did not want to ruin this beautiful piece. But I had to sneeze, and in that moment my hands let go of the fabric. As I opened my eyes I felt how my body was falling forward. And I saw black shoes. Then I felt two strong hands holding me by my waist and putting me on my feet again.

Where his fingers held me, a fire ignited under my skin and my breath started going faster. I looked up, meeting with a dark brown pair of eyes. His mop of curls were messy till perfection. And his pink lips were curved into an amazing smirk. “Bless you.” He said, and my cheeks turned velvet. I giggled nervously, ”Thanks.” came out quite fast of my mouth. His smirk turned into a grin as he saw that I was squinting my eyes together and let out another sneeze.

He then started laughing loudly, I hit his arm and turned into a tomato. But seeing him being so happy around me, warmed my heart. To fast for my liking he got serious. “You looked stunning up there.” I felt how he got nervous. Wait … nervous around me? He bit his lip, waiting for a reply from me. “Well, I only hoped that I wouldn’t fuck up the lyrics.” His lips curled into another smile. I took that as a good sign. I took a deep breath, looked him in the eye. “George that song I just sang up there, was for you.” It came out in such a rush, I feared he didn’t get it. But he turned pale and gulped, he was fiddling with his hands. The tension rose again, my heartbeat increased with each second that took him to answer me. He opened his mouth several times, just like a nutcracker. As he was going to start saying something, someone else wrapped his arms around my waist. His scent found its way into my nose, and I knew it was another bandmember from Union J. “If I would have a crush on you, I would have fainted as I saw you in the air. You looked truly like an angel from above.”

In the millisecond that my eyes were on George, before I turned my head to my right where Josh has put his head on my shoulder, I noticed how his cheeks flushed pink within a blink of an eye. The boy who was cuddling with me on the other hand, was as cool as usual. “Well, thank you.” I said jokingly and laughed at the face he made. “Actually, I wanted to catch George. Mate, it’s our turn. We’re the next ones.” He losened his grip around me and pulled George with him, just as they wanted to walk away I grabbed the hand of the nearest male next to me. Which happened to be Josh, I pulled him into a hug. “Good luck!” I whispered into his ear. He answered quietly, “If I would have known you two had a moment, I wouldn’t have interupted you two.” As he stepped back, he had a sorry smile on his face. I shrugged and wrapped an arm around Georges’ neck. “Good luck, you too.” I whispered, he rubbed my back with his hands. “My part is for you.”

He stepped away and let me standing there with wide eyes.

Just as I caught myself again, I felt how my feet leaded me backstage. Music filled the hall, ‘I’m already there’ from Lonestar was their song. The first verse was sung by the boy who holds my heart. He looked over to me as he sang his last sentence “Just to hear her say I love you one more time”

***

A/N: I hate myself okay, but i love this chapter. I know i haven't updated in 7 months! Or longer, i mean i haven't written in 7 months. But the school year is ending soon (yay) and i have more time since i wanted to focus more on school. And i WANT TO finish this story so badly, you have no clue. And i know that the semi-final wasn't held in the arena AND that union j did not sing that song as first BUT srsly, isn't that perfect? 

Till soon, reni xx