Never Plan Your Ex's Wedding: Chapter Fifteen

"Whatever you want to do, wherever you want to go we'll do that next weekend Just focus on that." Percy stared at me across the counter. He'd been trying to make me feel better all night despite my constant attempts to tell him I'm fine.

I nodded. "I just need the sleep, I'm going to be no use if I'm tired."

"Anything Annabeth, just name it." He held my gaze, trying to convey he meant it. He was cute when he was worried. I went to pat him on the head as I went by but he grabbed my wrist. "It'll be okay. You and Piper will be okay. I promise." I just nodded again. I didn't want to look him in the eye anymore, the knots in my stomach felt like a snake constricting around my middle. I stumbled to my room and closed the door behind me.

It felt better to just lie down in my bed. I tried to do what I always did, just forget about where I had to go in the morning. Right now I can just lie here, I like doing that. My stomach twisted again. This strategy never worked. I stared at the ceiling and I couldn't help but think that every second that went by was a bit closer to tomorrow morning. That those seconds all clumped up and future me was already in the car and driving away.

I tried to get my mind off her. I thought through a million topics. Eventually I landed on another one I'd been trying to forget. It wasn't too bad at first of course. I sat down and designed my future house. Yes, when I cannot sleep this is what I do. I'm not even sorry. I remembered when Reyna would find me passed out on my desk. She'd brush my hair back behind my ears and by then I'd wake up, I'd always been a light sleeper. Just as I stirred she'd lift me out of my chair, full bridal carry or thrown over her shoulder and she'd bring me back to bed.

I groaned and wiped at my forehead. I didn't have that now, I'd have to put myself to bed. And I did... and I stayed there... for awhile at least. At least with stressing about architecture I wasn't thinking about... anybody I didn't want to think about. So I might've been a bit overtired but what's the saying? "Drunk actions, sober thoughts?" Honestly I could've done worse. I sent in my application and hoped for the best with Riverton Architecture.

From there I should've gone to bed. I really should've left my desk and just konked out. I should've done anything, anything, to try to shut off my brain. Instead I sat there and I thought. I thought how Piper was too good, how she deserved much more. The entire time I led her on a string, I never truly told her there wasn't a hope with me. I thought about what Reyna said, maybe it's a sign.

Reyna. Reyna who I had been completely and madly in love with. Reyna who could calm me with just her voice. I could use some calm. Reyna, who's now in the headspace for commitment. Reyna who I had seen myself marrying. Shouldn't we be able to try that again? Shouldn't we be able to know this time for sure? Is someone who's really happy with their partner putting their hand on someone else's thigh? Are they lighting up like they used to when you dated? Now I just had to give it up, we just had to give it up. It just ends in the middle of the story? No. No I'll write my own goddamn ending.

I get up from my desk and walk over to my room. I pull on jeans and a plain white shirt. Simple, but it was how I dressed the entirety of my senior year in high school. I remember sunny days with the cuffs rolled up and my hand in hers, walking down the beach. I wash my face with clean water, trying to make me seem as awake as possible and then that's it... I'm going. Je vais. I'm walking across the room and I know I'm going to go.

"Bethy? What are you doing up?" Percy was groggy, still wiping at his eyes like I might be an apparition.

"I can't let her do this." Instantly that seemed to sober him up.