Chapter 6-a stupid piece of stone!?

“Okay, tell me what’s the job about.” I asked

“Your job is to steal a precious gemstone that is embedded on the forehead of a five-foot mini statue of Liberty. Your destination is at The Mall.” Grandpa replied.

 “Sounds familiar..wait, I’m Sam Rider!? I thought Sam Rider was a guy?”

 “Who told you that?” mom asked.

 Today during lunch time, my friend told me about the note his father found stuck on the statue. It said I’m coming for the statue at 9pm, and he said Sam Rider was a guy. Well, according to what he found in the Internet.”

 Grandpa closed his right hand into a fist and placed it in front of his mouth, cleared his throat and said. “Sam Rider was not a guy.”

"So, she was a girl then?”

 “Duh! What else? A goy?” and grandpa laughed. Noticing that no one responded, he said. “It was a joke. You know, girl? Boy? Goy?”

 “Ha ha, very funny grandpa.” I said and rolled my eyes. “So, I’m just going to the gemstone, not the whole statue right?”

 “Right.” said grandpa, giving a look at mom. Which mom replied with “Oops, sorry.”

 Just as I was about to step onto the balcony, grandpa said. “ Whenever you’re in trouble, just call out for Maxie and he’ll be there in a second.”

 I nodded although I did not quite understand how a cat could possibly help me. I took a deep breath, stepped out into the chilly night and leaped into the air.

I can’t believe I just stole a stone. A stone.  A stupid piece of stone. Can you believe that?

I could hear the police sirens behind me, and they were coming closer and closer. How was I going to loose them?

 Of course! Jump up to the roofs! I guess I wasn’t that used to my new strength yet.

 So, I stopped for a few seconds, breathed in a deep breath and jumped.

 When I felt like I was at a safe distance, I took a rest on a roof and took out the stone to examine it. It was a pretty oval stone. The stone was baby pink at the sides, and it became darker and darker in the middle, eventually turning into bloody red.

 I was lost in thought of how I got into this situation when suddenly, an owl hooted from a tree nearby and frightened me. This caused the stone to slip out of my fingers and fall.

 “Shit!” and I tried to catch it before it fell but I was too late. It fell into a garden, and before I was able to stop myself, I fell too and I landed with a loud thud. I gave a curse and rubbed my butt.

 Realizing that I might have attracted attention, I quickly scanned around including the house that was right behind me. I was lucky as nobody came. Moreover, the house was dark which meant that nobody was home. Who sleeps at 10 at night anyway?

 After concluding that nobody noticed my clumsy arrival, I proceeded to searching for the stone.

 The only source of light was coming from the full moon in the vast space of darkness above me. And even as a cloud blocked the moon, I could still see in the dark. My sight has improved tremendously.

 I found the stone in a matter of seconds and picked it up. I was just about to jump onto a roof when I heard a door open. I turned around and knew who it was immediately.

 “Wh..who’s there?” Jaden stammered. I managed to suppress a laugh as I saw what he was holding. Did he honestly think he could defend himself with a measly remote control?

 Just then, the cloud disappeared and it was bright enough for Jaden to see me. He had an expression of shock and surprise at the same time and I guessed it was caused by my glowing green eyes and flaming red hair.

 “Oh my god, are you Sam Ri…” before he could finish his sentence, I built all my strength into my right leg and pushed myself forward. In less than a second, I appeared right in front of him.

 “I’m sorry.” I said as I punched him in the gut and caught him on my back before he could hit the ground. At the same time, I caught the remote control that was falling from his hand. I piggy bagged him to the only couch in the living room and threw him on the couch.

 It’s only the first night and I managed to screw it by dropping the stone into a house that someone recognizes me! Urgh! This is so frustrating! I thought as I stepped out of the house and continued my journey home.