A way

An 18 year old Donnie smiled fondly at the sight of a full breakfast, pulling up a chair to his cluttered desk on which the steaming plate lay next to a mug.
He scrolled along the screen on his laptop whilst eating, skimming along the headlines of the online website. As he scanned, his mind began to drown in his thoughts, thoughts that he constantly had about his childhood, and the family he'd once belonged to.

He remembered the days in which he'd wake up to the smell of charred bacon and burnt toast, both of which leading him to the kitchen where his oldest brother Leo stared guiltily at the ground, the cooking equipment in the kitchen destroyed behind him. He'd only been trying to make breakfast, a gesture that while Donnie had appreciated, he knew he'd be the one who'd have to fix the damage. His younger brother Mikey had then taken it upon himself to fix up a proper meal,which-for a six year old-tasted amazing. Then there was Raph, his other older brother who-though regularly spending his time tormenting Mikey- was once of the most compassionate and protective people Donnie had ever met...aside from Leo.

Those days of pranks, hugs and childhood games were soon torn from him that fateful night when they'd been found by TCRI and he'd been sent away to Mexico. He remembered sitting near the train tracks, waiting for someone to come. But nobody ever came..
He grew up on the streets, scavenging for food, using his powers as self defence. He would sneak into schools for education,dig through dumps for gadgets and fuse equipment he'd found to create tech. This is where his electrical powers came in. Donnie set up his own little store where he'd repair devices for money using his powers. Soon enough he'd accumulated enough money to book a flight back to his original home using a computer he'd repaired. He was ten around the time of his arrival, and had wondered the streets aimlessly for months before he eventually stumbled upon the owner of a bunch of apartments. She offered him a place to live, to which Donnie eagerly accepted, moving in that same day.
He'd been living there ever since, alone, attempting to track down his family whilst educating himself further online.

A sudden headline drew his attention to a section of the screen.
'Rebellion lead by 16 year old has been spotted near TCRI'
Skimming through the explanation, Donnie's eyes widened at the evidence supplied in the text.
'Camps have been located around the lower streets of the city, and marks left from mutants have been uncovered. Most of which were the scorch marks from fire.'

Donnie froze.
Fire...
Pulling out a stray piece of paper, he scribbled down the addresses of the spotted camps, stuffing a torch, his laptop and a blanket into a bag.
Nowadays it was extremely rare to find mutants with the same powers due to the sheer amount of people being slaughtered.
He was now possibly another step closer to finding one of his brothers.
Tears welled in his eyes as he grasped the doorknob.
The words of his oldest brother whirled through his mind as he left the apartment, bag slung over his shoulder.
"Once there was a way to get back homeward."
"Well now...maybe there is."