Chapter 1: Familar Faces

Edited:

January 4th, 1989. Wednesday. No School

I STARTED TO run downstairs into the basement to play the drums. I've been playing the drums ever since I was little. I learned from watching music videos. There was this new song called Bust A Move that I really liked to play. I was so good out it. So I sat down on the seat and started to play the drum part. Before I could even start getting to the good part I heard my mom yell my name form upstairs in the kitchen.

"(Y/n) get up here please!"I groaned and set down my drum sticks. Walking up the stairs and going into the kitchen to my mom. "Yeah, what do you need mom?" I asked. Grabbing a apple off of the counter. My mom sighs and taps her fingers on the counter. "Well, you've been inside all day, maybe you should go outside. Or hang out with some friends." She says. 

"Yeah, she probably wants to Mike!" My brother yelled coming down the stiars. He hold on the 'I' in Mike. I glared at him and punched Jake in the shoulder. He was going to punch me back but he knew he was going to get in trouble. So instead he just playfully shoved me. My mom glared at us. "Jake! (Y/n)!" mom said. We both looked down at the ground.

"Sorry, mom." 

____

I grabbed my bike from the front of our house and started to ride it at MIkes. As I did that I started to think if I really did like Mike. Like have an actual crush on him. But then again he did already have a girlfriend. Eleven. I'm out of the picture. When I arrived to his house, I knocked on the door. Revealing Mrs. Wheeler. Mikes mom. 

All of the Wheelers really liked me. Holly would always draw pictures of her and I. And Nancy would invite me to go hang out with her sometimes, even though i'm younger then her. And Mike, well we only hang out when the gang is around sadly. We never really just hung out ourselves. Even when I was with Nancy having a sleepover. 

"Hi, Mrs. Wheeler! May I come in?" I asked. "Of course, the boys are in the basement. And Nancy's in her room in case you wanna see her." She said. I nodded and walked inside the house. Ted, Mr. Wheeler, was trying to fix the TV in the living room. "Hi Mr. Wheeler." I greeted.

"Hi." He said. I walked downstair to the basement and heard the boys (and Max and Eleven.) talking about stuff. "So, Mike. Who do you have feelings for?" DUstin asked. I stopped walking and peeked my head out. "I obviously like Eleven. I wouldn't trade her for the world." Mike said. Eleven smiled at him and rested her head on his shoulder. I leaned in foward to see if they were going to say anything else. 

But I fell down the stairs and scrapped my knee. 

Everyone looked over and ran towards me. "Holy shit!" Dustin yelled. Mike came over to me and looked at me. "Shit, are you okay?" MIke asked. I blinked some tears out and nodded my head. "Yep! Just uh...scrapped my knee!" I whisper yell. Mike gives me a sympathetic smile and helps me over to the couch. "What were you guys talking about?" I asked. Lucas shrugged his shoulders. "We were talking about our crushes." Max says. Will nodded and looked down. 

"Oh, that's cool." 

____ 

It was a little bit later now. Everyone went upstairs to grab some snacks except Mike and I. It was an awkward silence. I was tossing a baseball in the air and counting how many times i've done it. Mike was looking straight at me. He exhaled. "So uh, (y/n)...how are you?" He asked. I answered "I'm fine." still tossing the ball in the air. "How about you?" I asked. Mike slumps down on the couch and sighs softly. "Never better." he said in a sarcastic tone. The basement door opened and everyone came back downstairs. 

I looked at the clock and and saw that it was about time for dinner. So I stood up and set the baseball down on the ground. "Well, I need to get home. Mom would freak out if I didn't make it before dinner." I say. Mike stands up too and looks at me. "Why don't you have dinner with us. The boys are staying over, and so are Max and Eleven. So it won't be awkward."

"That's fine, Mike. I'm going home." I say. Mike looks away and sits back down. I say bye to everyone and walk out of the house. Nancy was sitting outisde. "Where you going?" Nancy asks. I turn around and shurg. "Just home. I need to go home for dinner." I say. "Well why don't you stay over. We could have another sleepover!" Nancy says. I sigh and shake my head. 

"I can't, sorry." I say. I grab  my bike and walk it all the way to my house.