Chapter 19: 4am

CHAPTER 19: 4AM

~PENNY~

I knew this was the right thing to do or not. I felt like it was the best thing to do. Uncle Jimmy's funeral was yesterday, I got to go with my little brothers and cousins. Everybody was crying. I couldn't cry anymore, my eyes were all red and puffy and sore. But I did shed a tear or two. I hated the long drive back, it was full of Asher asking why Uncle Jimmy died. I hated Asher for not shutting up. So that's why I'm doing what I'm doing. I needed to leave, for good.

I jerked my window open, slinging my bag over my shoulder. I wore a mucky green jacket with the American flag as a patch on my sleeve. I wore a grey hoodie under the jacket. My jeans were skin tight and the colour of night. I wore black finger gloves. My hair pulled back into a pony tail which was held under a black winter hat. I climbed out the window, stepping onto the hang over the back porch. My boots tapped the roof quietly as I went to the drain pipe. I swung myself down it quietly. The night was cold. I could see my breath on the air. My body hit the grass with a thump and a grunt. I wasn't worried about waking anybody up since it's four in the morning. I pulled up the bike and sat on it. I swallowed hard as I began to peddle down the street, not bothering to look back.

I left a note for them saying I was leaving. I can't stand it there. I'd rather have Jimmy as a dad. He was there more. But sadly hes not my dad so I have to settle for Frank Iero. I'd rather be Penelope Sullivan than Penelope Iero. But that doesn't mean I don't love my dad.

I peddled into the night fearlessly. I wasn't afraid of much anymore. I shouldn't be, it's stupid to be afraid. I had one more thing to do before I left for good. My bike went as fast as it could down main streets so in case I do get taken it'll be on camera. Surpirsingly it's really busy for four am. The time seemed to pass by since not only was I deep in thought, peddling my bike but I was listening to music, mainly A7X. My heart stopped when 4AM came on. The first line made me nearly cry. I suppoose it's true he does know why I'm running away. I've got one more chance to die. But I needed to leave, I felt like I was nothing but a burdan to everyone. I was the first born of a teen parent. That makes me feel so much better, no it didn't.

I jumped off the bike as I came through the cemetary. My knees collapsed at the grave making my heart stop. My eyes became even more sore when I started to sob sadly. My fingers traced the engravng on the stone before pulling two drum sticks from my bag. I wasn't done playing the drums but these were my first sticks and he taught me to play. For Christmas he gave me his first drum sticks so I thought I'd repay him. It was like he knew. Like he knew he was going to die. I put the wooden stick by the stone and cried heavily as it started to rain down onto the earth. My body became cold and wet quickly. My breath hit the air hard as I cradled myself at the grave, crying hard. All I wanted was my Uncle Jimmy back. I'm sure if you asked, everyone would agree with me.