Chapter 16: Pink Hats.

CHAPTER 16: PINK HATS.

~KAT~

Today was my day off so I stayed home, cleaned for most of the first half of the day then sat and watched shows like Maury and Jerry Springer. I like how no matter how sad I am and how shitty my life seems, I turn the TV on and see that my life will never be as bad as the ones on those shows.

I served dinner to all three of the kids. Penny was in old over-alls and a green tee shirt. Her hair in pig tails. Thomas wore a plain blue tee shirt and jeans while Asher was in a pair of jeans and suspenders and a black tee shirt. They all seemed rather happy with the fact that in a few weeks dad will be home. They were even happier at the fact that since I'm getting a transfer within three months, I don't need to go to work. I smiled and looked at all three of the worryingly silent children.

"So what's new?" I asked softly. Penny looked up and at her brother, Tommy. She blushed and looked down at the plate of vegitables and mash. Asher giggled loudly and looked at his plate. Tommy sank down into himself as Penny hummed that K.I.S.S.I.N.G song. I looked at Tommy curiously.

"Thomas? Would you care to share?" I asked softly. He shook his head and sank down further.

"Thomas and Lee sitt'n in a tree, K.I.S.S.I.N.G" Penny teased. Thomas shouted at her to stop. Asher just sat there and laughed.

"Stop it!" Thomas yelled loudly.

"Shut up fag! You have no opinion in this world." Penny shouted back. I felt my temper slide from my grasp.

"Hey! We don't use that language. Penelope, you're room now." I demanded with a stern voice. She pushed herself away and stormed up to her room. I couldn't believe she said that. She knows better. Thomas sat in his seat and tried not to cry, but he was failing. I knew what his sister said hurt him. I knew why too. There is a new kid at school named Lee Nelson. Lee is from Ohio and he is a really good boy. And Thomas has a little crush on him. He doesn't understand why he feels this way towards another boy but I've told him it's okay. He should dwell on it and see where it takes him. So from the sounds of it him and Lee are quit an idem now.

I knocked on Thomas' bedroom door and poked my head into it. He sat on his bed in that blue tee shirt and his boxer shorts. He looked sad which made me feel horrible. I stepped into the room and sat behind him on the bed, cradling him in my arms. The two boys shared a room so they had to seperate beds. Asher was fast asleep on the couch down stairs. Thomas cried softly and hid his face in his hands. I looked down at those bright olive eyes that were glazed over with glass. His hair moppy and dark.

"Mommy, do you still love me?" He asked the dumbest question. Of course I still love him, I never stopped. He's my baby boy. My first boy and that'll never change. He's my inspiration on life. He's the one who will make a difference in the world one day. I can see it, he's very special. I hugged him tightly and hushed him quietly.

"Why wouldn't I?" I whispered softly, stroking his dampened cheek with my thumb, wiping the tears from his face. His face was tanned but it was drained from it's colour by the pain. He bit his bottom lip and frowned.

"Because I like boys." He returned. I smiled and hugged him tightly as he cried softly. He must be so confused and scared, it's unfair that I know. He's too young to know the meaning of pain and suffering but he's brave. It takes courage to come out of the closet at such a young age. I knew exactly what to say to him.

"Some times a prince gets a prince and a princess gets a princess, you don't need a story book ending in order to live happily ever after." I whispered to him softly. He smiled and nodded. It's true. Just because the ending is different doesn't mean you don't get to live happily ever after. Everybody gets to live happily ever after.