Chapter Four ~ The Other Woman

Melanie's POV

"You look great," Tammy my best friend said putting on the finishing touches of my makeup.

Tammy Perault and I had been best friends since middle school. She worked in Uptown as a hair & makeup artist for a motion picture company and I had called her over to do my makeup and hair.

"I still can't believe you are going out with Mr. Arrogant Asshole."

"It's for charity, the hospital foundation is trying to build a pediatric cardiac wing. And whatever you do please don't call him that when he arrives. I need my job."

"Well until I meet him, he will remain as that."

"Just don't say it out loud."

"Fine, but you can't stop me from thinking it."

I pushed back from the bathroom counter and walked over to the bed where my dress laid.

"Twenty- five hundred dollars!" she called out. "Shit, I will go out with him if you won't."

"Shut up."

"I heard the tickets were a thousand dollars a couple. The creme dela creme of New Orleans socialites will be there."

"Really?" I had heard it was a nice event.

"Yes and they have chefs from all over the world cooking and competing. I heard Al Green, Michael Buble, Patti LaBelle and Michael McDonald are performing. There is a silent & live auction and a diamond dig with a diamond worth over twenty thousand dollars. It's suppose to be huge, the hottest ticket around."

"Wow, I didn't know all that."

"I heard the chairman of the hospital board, Jacob Moore and his wife have ties to the hospital so they pulled out all the big guns to make sure it's a success. It's normally held in the summer but they figured they would do it around Valentine's Day for National Heart Month."

"Okay now I'm nervous. That's probably why he mentioned something about prospective clients."

"It's suppose to be romantic too," she said grinning. "Who knows he might have asked you for a reason."

"Now you are taking this overboard Tammy."

"Maybe he is not as bad as you think. Maybe he plays the tough guy role because of the type of business he's in."

"No, he thinks people are suppose to cater to his every need, I will do it sometimes but not all the time."

"With his playboy ways why did he ask you?"

"Uhm... it was a last minute thing."

"Sure it was. Your left eye just twitched."

"It did not."

"Whenever you lie, your left eye twitches."

"Fine! He wants to make his ex jealous."

"Awe, so he is using you?"

"It's a two way street."

"Boo please. You are in love with that man."

"WHAT! I think you are mixed up in the head."

"You talk about him every time we are together."

"I do not!"

"Yes you do. You give up a little fight in the beginning, but you normally give in to him."

"I do not!"

"When Chris planned a romantic getaway, you blew him off to go on a business trip with Mr. Asshole."