Chapter 11: Maxed Out

"Mama look at this dress. Isn't this gorgeous." Panchi said holding on to a mint green sare. "Mama I want to buy this for my engagement. Please." Panchi twirled around placing one side of the sare on her shoulder. Piya smiled and gave her approval. Misha looked at Panchi and the sare all lost. To Misha just picking something and wearing it was good enough. She leaned against the railing and gave a thumbs-up.

"Sure beta. If that's what you want we will get you that." Madhu replied lost in her own thought. Since the prediction that Pandit ji (priest)made Madhu has been day and night worried about it. Arnab isn't doing much about the prediction, he thinks it's better to leave everything to destiny. However, Madhu just couldn't see her daughters suffer in the future. Madhu knew Panchi really loved Danish, and even though Danish wouldn't be her first choice for his daughter, but if Panchi was happy she agreed to it. She looked at both of her smiling daughters they were clueless to what is predicted for them.

"Mama. Mama!" Piya poked her mom on the shoulder to get her mom's attention. Madhu looked at Piya, she was holding a red salwar. "Mom I want to wear this at Panchi's engagement." Madhu smiled at Piya and nodded. Madhu then noticed Misha on the side all bored.

"Misha beta, why don't you buy something for the engagement." Madhu said. Misha let out a laugh.

"No aunty, I am not wearing those gaghra type dresses and acting like where is my siya, please take me oh chiya." Misha said pretending to dance like one of those bollywood actresses. Everyone looked at Misha. Misha stopped dancing and scratched the back of her head. "Ops, my bad. I guess I can't be a barbie doll like society requires girls to be." Misha made a fake blushing face.

"Don't worry Misha. We love the way you are." Piya said hugging Misha.

"I am fine with Misha as long as she remembers to dress like a normal girl in all my marriage functions." Panchi made a side comment as she looked at more clothes.

"Don't worry Birdy, teri shadee or sangeet Mai meri pathi hoi jeans or shirt pheni wali ho. (I will wear my best ripped jeans and top just for all your functions Birdy.)." Misha said as she ran out of the shop as Panchi threw a packet of cloth at her.

"Piya, please teri is jaili Misha ko samjana. (Piya please make Misha understand.)." Panchi said as she hugged Madhu.

"Lol, don't worry Haseena aunty will force her to wear nice dresses di (sis)." Piya said hugging Panchi. "Now lets buy more clothes for your wedding functions."

"Piya I have to call Kabir to pick us up later." Madhu said taking out her phone. She dials in Kabir's number. "Hello Kabir, can you pick us up in half an hour?"

"Hi aunty this is Abhay." Abhay said picking up Kabir's phone. Kabir has left his phone and went on a date with T.

"Oh Abhay, where is Kabir?" Madhu asked.

"Um, Kabir went to meet the professor for our project." Abhay lied.

"Oh acha." Madhu replied not quiet convinced. "I needed Kabir to drive us home, that's why I called."

"Don't worry aunty I will come by and pick you up." Abhay replied. Madhu gave Abhay the address to the phone and cut the call. Abhay rushed out the house to pick them up.

On the other side of the mall Misha went in to a shoe store. She was gazing at sport shoes and her eyes fell upon a nice one. She grabbed the pair of sneakers and rushed to the counter.

"Pack this up bro." She handed the sneaker and her credit card.

"I am sorry mam. But your credit card is maxed out." The cashier replied handing the card back to Misha.

"Excuse me, what! Please check again." Misha handed the card back to the cashier. Again her card was declined. Misha took out her phone and called Haseena. "Momsi, momsi, my card has been declined.

"Wait one second Misha." Haseena got up from the table she was in. She had come to a cafe with her coworker Neel. She moved into the side and replied, "Kya Hua ab Mishu.(what happened now Mishu.)"

"Momsi my card bounced." Misha replied. "Can you please check what went wrong?"

"Nothing went wrong Misha. I will talk to you about it later." Haseena cuts the call leaving a frustrated Misha on the other side. Haseena went back to the table where Neel was sipping his coffee.

"Sorry about that I was talking to my...."

"Hey there is a movie shooting going on not far from here next Monday. You want to go with me?" Neel cut Haseena before she could mention about her daughter Misha.

"Um, I don't know Neel. I might be a bit busy." Haseena replied.

"Please Haseena, I don't know anyone else in the city and you seem like an awesome person to hang with." Neel placed his hand on top of Haseena's hand. Haseena and Neel have a quick eye contact before Neel takes his hand off.

 Haseena and Neel have a quick eye contact before Neel takes his hand off

"Okay fine. I will think about it." Haseena replies cutting out the silence. Neel smiles. "I have to go now. Thank you for the coffee treat."

"It's the least I could do after spilling tea on you. So when do you want your next coffee treat." Neel said.

"Come on this one is for the spilled tea, you don't have to get me coffee." Haseena replies grabbing her bag from the table.

"Looks like I have to spill more tea to bring you out for coffee." Neel smirks.

"Haha, very funny. Next time I will make you wash the stain off, how about that." Haseena joked back as she leaves Neel behind. Neel smiled as he watched Haseena leave.

"O haseena zulfon wali, jaane jahan. Dhoondti hain kafir aankhen kiska nishaan." Neel sings the old hindi song and smiles to himself.