45 Frank Iero

“No; I mean, I haven't even been at this school for that long and I feel like you haven't had a normal day since I came along…” Gerard's voice fades away with hesitation while he continues to avoid eye contact with me.

I look him over, still in disbelief. I try to hold it in but I end up laughing anyway.

His eyes flash to me as he blushes, embarrassed. He inquires, “Why are you laughing?”

When I can catch my breath, I face him completely, holding out my arms so he can fully see me. I demand, “Gerard, look at me.” He acts slowly, still sheepish. I resume, “Gerard, I'm not normal. I don't look normal. I don't have what people would consider ‘normal days’. Since you came along, it hasn't changed for the most part and I'm fine with that. Am I still an outcast? Yes. Does Matt still mess with me? Yes. Am I still alone here? No…. Do you know why?”

Gerard shakes his head and I have to resist the urge to roll my eyes.

I sigh, already red-faced before I can even say it, “Because of you…. And I know that sounds really cheesy- and it is- but it's also true.”

He looks hopeful and almost whispers, “Really?”

I reassure him, “Really. Out of all the things that happened to me, I think you're my favorite.”

Gerard grins, showing all his teeth, making my heart skip a beat. The bell rings and he takes me hand, lacing our fingers and planting a kiss on the back of my hand.

“You're a dork,” he comments as we leave the bathroom to get to class.

“Yeah,” I reply, smirking, “but I'm your dork.”