~10

Riley's P.O.V
____________

that night we walked home, the wind was hot and we had been damp and sweaty from running around. looking over at Stanley I noticed he had been looking back. averting my eyes down to my shoes in a panic, we had been in a sort of staring contest throughout the day.

Finally getting to Charlie's place we said our goodbyes and I smiled at stanley and walked inside.

Our parents had went out to dinner and were waiting for us in the living room.

"Hey girls, glad you got back safe." My dad cheered standing up from the recliner.

I nodded.

-After Leaving-

The drive to the motel was silent and peaceful until my dad piped up.

"So, did Charlotte happen to mention anything about her sister and dogs death.." the excitement to find something out clear in his scratchy voice. "What? No. I got curious and asked if it was true that she saw a clown." I replied skeptical.

"Well.. you should ask her about it more. Try to get some information." My mother chimed in.

"No mom I can't do that, she's traumatized." I rolled my eyes.

"Listen!" My Mom turner around gripping my arm. "She's not traumatized she's guilty. She did that to her family do you understand that? She hurt her sister physically and scarred her family mentally. She's not okay." The glare from my mother burning into my skull.

"She's not mental." I said snatching my arm back and seeing the nail marks.

"She's playing you. She led her sister into the woods, according to her parents her sister knew better than to go in there, and she killed her. Charlotte Denver is SICK. And that's why we need you to question her." My mother snapped back turning around to face forward in her seat.

I shook my head and got out of the car when we parked. Is this really why we left our home? To investigate a girl in a small town over a recent death.

-Next Morning-

My parents drove us back up to Charlie's house. Getting out I could tell her dad was a bit on edge to see us again since he was in the front doing yard work.

"Hey Charlie." I said getting out of the car and seeing her begin to ride her bike. "Uh Hey" she replied.
"Riley why don't you go with Charlotte." I widened my eyes at my father who scolded me with one single glare. I breathed in looking back at Charlie and followed her.

After a few blocks of mentally yelling at myself over whether I should ask her, I did just to make my parents happy.

"Charlie.. what actually happened in the woods.." I asked. "What? Why do you want to- "

"Guys!" Before charlie could finish the group came up to us. Charlie stared at Beverly, not in a friendly way, in a way my father looks at my mother when she walks downstairs in a gown for an event.

I shook off my thoughts when a hand touched my shoulder. "Hey Riley" Stanley smiled. "Hey Stanley" I blushed.

Yet again the day went on as it did yesterday. I know it's too early to say this because we had just met yesterday but two days of getting to know Stanley has made me form a teensy crush on him.