Beauty and the New Kid

"Maya!" Molly snapped me back to the present.

"Huh?" I mumbled, staring blankly down at the risers.

"I asked if you would like the next solo, Ms. Porter." Mr. Robinski stares at me sternly.

I gasped. "Really? Me?" I was usually so far in the background my dad couldn't take pictures of me. (I had no problem with that)

"Yes, Maya. You." He nodded, smiling slightly, and I held back a squeal.

"Yes, of course!" I replied excitedly. "What's the song?" I whispered to Molly, who rolled her eyes.

"The song, Ms. Porter," Robinski said, "is Something There from Beauty and the Beast." I saw an evil grin develop on his face.

"But that's a duet. Who's singing the other part?" My nerves jumped, and I was unsure if I wanted the answer.

"Grayson." I looked around. Who's that?

A slouched, dark haired kid in the back corner shrunk into himself. I cranked my neck to try and see under the hoodie to no avail.

"Grayson, Maya, come up here. We'll do some sight reading." Mr. Robinski winked at me, as if he knew something I didn't.

I hopped out of my seat, watching Grayson out of the corner of my eye. Why hadn't I seen him before? I would have at least recognized him, even if I didn't know his name. Only 400 kids go to this school.

"Mr. Barton is joining us from Quebec City." So that's why I didn't know him.

Grayson gave an awkward wave and looked toward me. I smiled at him, and he shot an eye roll back. I sighed and grabbed the sheet music, then turned to face the class.

"No, no Ms. Porter." Mr. Robinski scolded. "The chemistry must be acted out." He turned my shoulders to face Barton once more and the piano began to play.

"There's something sweet, and almost kind, but he was mean and he was coarse and unrefined..." I felt the warmth in my cheeks disappear and I melted into Belle. Strong headed, intelligent Belle who's worst problem was falling in love. That was my problem too. But maybe not the same as hers.

"She glanced my way, I thought I saw, and when we touched she didn't shudder at my paw..." Grayson's voice was amazing. I looked up to see him shaking nervously, eyes glued to the floor.

"New... and a bit alarming... who'd have ever thought that this could be..." he looked up. "True... That he's no Prince Charming... but there's something in him that I simply didn't see..." he made eye contact.

"Well who'd have thought?" A voice from the risers popped up.

"Well bless my soul!" Molly practically fell over from excitement when she got to sing.

"And who'd have guessed they'd come together on their own?" Mr. Robinski's voice was close to Sinatra's, but a bit rough. Like silk that had been rubbed with sandpaper.

"There may be something there that wasn't there before..." Molly finished off the song with a grand flourish in typical Molly fashion.

"Excellent work, everyone! I will see Mr. Barton and Ms. Porter for practice after school today!" I frowned. After school?

"Mr. Robinski, I can't come after school today. I can't get a ride and I don't own a car." I walked up to him as the bell rang.

"It's required rehearsal for all soloists." He looked over his glasses.

"I know, I know..." I glanced around, helpless. "I can have a ride tomorrow, just not today. Please?" His eyes softened at my hopeless expression.

"Tomorrow. I'll hold you to it." He ushered me out of the room.

"Thank you!" I called as I raced to my next class.

"Don't thank me yet!" He retorted. "You haven't been to one of my private practices before!"