Flashback

"Welcome back!" Robinski exclaimed as our fans made their way back into the theater. "The votes have been counted, it's time to see who won!" He glanced over to each side of the stage, making sure we were there. Molly was wringing her hands, watching Mr. Robinski with anticipation.

I was there physically, but my mind was at the hospital.

'Dad's awake

For now.'

What does that mean? Is he in critical condition, is he just tired? A million terrifying thoughts raced through my head and I couldn't stop them.

Robinski pulled out a fancy envelope, opening the seal. The silence was deafening. I couldn't focus on the current situation when I knew something was happening in the hospital.

"Are you ready?" The crowd cheered. "The winner of the first 21st-century sing-off is..." I held my breath.

"Maya Porter!" The crowd exploded. Mr. Robinski called me onstage and handed me a gold spray painted little kid microphone, one of the ones that make you sound like a robot. I took it, smiling, but I knew he saw that I was faking.

I turned towards the audience, scanning the seats for Grayson. When I finally saw his face, silly and grinning, I felt myself relax. He was here. Everything would be okay.

I looked backstage, planning to talk to Molly, but she had already left to lick her wounds. Shaking my head, I hopped off the stage, getting ready to race out the door, when Lizzie and her henchmen (henchwomen?) showed up.

"Well, if it isn't the three bitchkateers." I smiled, seeing her struggle to understand.

"I just wanted to say that I thought Molly should win. I mean, she did get the main character in the musical, and you're what? A supporting character?" She feigned a laugh, elbowing the poor girls behind her, who quickly followed suit. I can't believe I used to be one of them.

"Yup. Didn't you audition for the show?" I asked sweetly, knowing the answer.

"No. Of course not. Theatre is stupid." She snapped, but I knew I'd gotten to her.

"Right. It's not because-" She walked away, flipping her hair, before I could finish my sentence.

Feeling quite smug, I turned towards the exit once more, only to be trapped in a hug from Grayson.

"You were amazing!" He squealed, higher-pitched than a fangirl's. I returned the hug, though my mind was on other things.

"Thanks. I really have to go, though..." I looked towards the exit, desperately planning my escape.

"Oh." I could see disappointment flood into his face, but he let me go, watching me walk away from him.

Taking a deep breath, I walked outside, trying not to assume the worst. 

I got in my car, trying my best to focus on my father, and failing. My brain kept going back to Lizzie. 

I suppose, now that I've confronted the Heather Chandler of our school twice, I might as well explain. 

I moved to Vermont from New York City about 7 years ago. I was so disappointed, but Dad said Mom and I could at least stay until the end of fourth grade, which made me happy. 

We had officially moved in by August 17, open house at my new elementary school. Not knowing anybody, since I was the youngest and still pure techie at the Mercury, I was pegged as a loner. By the end of the year, Lizzie had taken me under her wing. 

Well, fifth grade passed, and during the summer Lizzie and I became inseparable.  She convinced me to try out for Oliver! with her, and I reluctantly agreed. 

It turned out I was right to be reluctant, because on audition day, the girl who had been convincing me I would be great, broke my heart. She called me an untalented mess, who she only brought along to make her look better. I guess that's why I reacted so harshly to Molly. 

Anyway, by then the director already knew and loved me, so she put me in the booth and Lizzie wasn't cast, though I'll never know if that was because Dad told Julie what happened or if it was due to the fact that Lizzie was seriously tone deaf. 

Her mom never let her try out for a Mercury show again, and when I signed up for booth in middle school, she didn't sign up for auditions. 

However, we were still friends after that incident. She apologized, though I doubt she meant it, and everything went back to how it was before. 

It wasn't until 6th grade when Earl(Who names their kid that?) came into the picture that our friendship truly ended. They were soulmates. Of course, we were all so happy for her, but she pulled an Ariel, ignoring us to hang out with him, and when she did talk to us it was about, you guessed it, Earl. 

I confronted her about it. My first mistake. Or maybe her response was her last mistake. 

"Hey, it seems like you're avoiding me. And Ally and Becca, too." I averted my eyes, fully aware she was about to blow. 

"Well, I met my soulmate. Which is probably more than you'll ever be able to do." She gave me a little laugh. 

This comment was normal for her. For some reason, my mother still thinks she's perfectly nice and wonders why I have self-esteem issues. 

"RIght. I was just saying, we miss you." I tried to regain my composure, but the look on her face ruined that.

"Funny, the girls and I were just talking last night. About you." An evil grin appeared. "I think it's time we... part ways, so to speak." 

I couldn't believe my ears. My first friend was now kicking me out. 

"Of course. I would expect nothing less." I refused to let her see me hurt, and the shield I put up lasted the rest of the day. 

During theatre, Molly came back to the booth, trying to find Mr. Price and saw me crying. That was how we met, and we've been close until now. Well, just before now. 

We became friends pretty quickly, and I heard her singing under her breath one day and convinced her to try out for the musical. Even as a sixth grader, her talent was obvious, and she was cast as Rapunzel in Into The Woods, which was a ridiculous show to do with middle schoolers. 

She did amazingly well, and moved up fast. Every year, she tried to convince me to audition as well, and every year I had the same excuse: The booth needed me. (Which was true, by the way. They were a complete mess most of the time.)

She gave up. Until this year, and this whole mess happened. 

Snapping back to the present, I made a promise to myself. If Molly and I figured this out, I wouldn't audition for another show she was in ever again.