chapter 12

Emmy's pov

the next morning I woke up exhausted and bruised. I walked down the stairs wobbly to see my father at the kitchen table drinking coffee.

"Hey..." I said worriedly.

"Emmy, sit down." my dad said sternly.

"Uhm, okay." I said.

I sat down and wondered about what was going to happen.

"It has come to my concern that you are seeing Hayes again. is this true?" he asked.

I was sitting there quietly. how did he find out? I've deleted my text messages and I know he hasn't caught me sneaking out...

"W-what?" I said.

"I told you I don't want you seeing him. I swear Emmy if I see you with him, you will not leave your room all summer until you go back to your mom's. Don't make me get the police involved."

"Dad, you don't know him! he's amazing and treats me so well. I'm sick of you not trusting me. I'm sick of not being able to see him. I'm done." I was starting to raise my voice.

"If you don't like my rules, then LEAVE." he was yelling.

"FINE." I stormed upstairs and grabbed my phone. I called Hayes.

"Hayes? Hello?" I was crying through the phone.

"Hey... are you crying?" he asked.

"I'm sorry. Hayes, he won't let me see you." I said.

"W-what? what do you mean?"

"M-my dad. he said if I s-see you again, he'll call the police." I was crying hard now.

"Emmy please don't cry, please. we can work it out. please." he said.

"... I don't want to leave you, how can we do this?" I asked.

"I'm going to talk to your dad. I think I could persuade him to let us see each other." he said.

"I don't know, Hayes..." I was trailing off.

I had two choices. I could either let Hayes talk to my dad or I could keep sneaking out with him and possibly be caught.

"I think we should wait a few weeks, let my dad cool off a bit." I said.

"Okay... do you want to do something today? like go to the park?" Hayes asked.

"Sure! be there in a half hour?"

"Sounds good." he said.

I hung up the phone and took a quick shower. I dried my hair and curled it lightly. I wore shorts and a graphic tee that had a sunset design.

I slipped on my white converse, grabbed my penny board, and walked out the door.

it took me about 10 minutes to get there. when I arrived, Hayes wasn't there yet. I decided to sit on a swing and go on my phone, when I felt a pair of hands cover my eyes.

"Ahhh," I jumped suddenly.

"Chill it's only me," Hayes sat down next to me.

"Oh my gosh, you scared me!" I said.

we talked for awhile and watched the sun set. he connected out hands and turned toward me.

"You're kind of amazing," he said.

"You're kind of amazing, too," I replied.

I started to laugh but Hayes kissed me suddenly.

it was a picture-perfect moment. I wish we could stay right here forever, but everything comes to an end eventually.