chapter 10

Emmy's pov

Hayes.

Hayes was sitting on the bed making out with a girl.

I started crying and he suddenly turned around and we made eye contact. before I rushed out of the doorway I saw the girl was Hanna.

I was furious yet heart broken at the same time. I stormed downstairs and I heard Hayes calling my name but I didn't look back.

I went out the front door and ran down the street toward my house. I didn't look back. Hayes must've stopped running because he wasn't calling my name anymore.

I stopped to catch my breath and just broke down. everything with my parent's divorce, Audrey, and now this. I didn't want it. I didn't want any of it.

I pulled out my cell phone and called my best friend, Stephanie. she lives back where my mom lives and I haven't talked to her since I came to NC.

"Hello?" a voice on the other end asked.

"Steph? hey, it's me," I replied. a tone of sadness was in my voice.

"Oh my gosh I miss you so much. what's wrong?" she asked.

"I miss you, too. and I need your help," I said.

I told her about Hayes and everything that has happened up until tonight.

"Em. I'm so sorry. I think the best thing you can do right now is give yourself space. just wait until you're ready an then talk to him," she said.

she was right. I deserve to have some time to think.

"I love you, Steph. what would I do without you?" I asked, laughing.

"You'd probably be a loser. I love you too... get some sleep and text me in the morning. and remember, if you need anything just call and I'll be down in NC asap," she said.

with that we both said our goodbyes and hung up.

I walked the rest of the way home and went through the front door and up the stairs. I put on sweatpants and a tshirt and did my hair into a messy bun. I watched netflix and listened to music for about 2 hours when I got up and looked out my window.

I saw Hayes sitting in his room with his head in his hands. he picked his head up and I saw his eyes were red and puffy.

I was so tempted to go over there or at least call him but I knew I couldn't. I need time.

* NEXT DAY *

I got up at about 11:00 and got ready. I took a shower and curled my hair. I wore denim shorts and just a plain, grey pocket tee.

I called Hayes. I was going to let him explain himself.

"Hello? Hayes?" I asked.

"Oh um, hey Em," he said.

"Listen... I want to talk about what happened. meet me at the park in 15?"

"Okay. sure," he replied.

I ate a snack and left. by the time I got there, Hayes was on the swings.

"Hey," I said, he turned around.

"Hi."

"Okay... please explain," I said.

"Well, when I left, I was going to the restroom. I couldn't find it so I went upstairs. I opened one of the doors and I saw Hanna looking lonely. I walked in and asked her what was wrong, she said everyone hates her and I replied and said "Well, I don't." because honestly I don't... she just gets mixed up in drama and sometimes it's not her fault,"

"And just in that moment, she kissed me and you just walked in at that right time. I'm so sorry. I understand if you want to breakup." he finished.

it took me a second to process everything.

"I don't want to breakup. I'm just... hurt. please Hayes-" I said but was cutoff with Hayes crashing his lips into mine.

"I'll would never hurt you, baby. Never." he said.

I smiled and we walked back to my house hand in hand, just to see something I wish I didn't.