Chapter 1-Escape

Hi guys. This is my first year of high school, so please be patient with me when I write. I might not be able to update regularly, but stick with me. I will not let you down, even if it takes all year! Thanks to all of you who are giving up your time to read my story, it really means a lot to me. By the way, I didn't make the picture on the cover, my friend Secret_27 made it for me. Thanks so much Secret!
Thanks,
CottonCandy
~~~~~~~~~

My feet pounded hard against the ground. My shoes made a faint clacking sound as they hit the cobblestones. Of all the days to find out, why today? Dragons swirled through the streets, the people beneath the flimsy material stamping their feet in time with the beat of a drum, swirling around to the rhythm only they could hear. "Hey, Ming!" Cried a boy I knew.
"Sorry, no time to stop."
"Ming, what are you doing? Stop and enjoy the festival!"
"I would if I could, but I really can't. Bye Tamayo." I ran faster, but was slowed as I turned the corner. "Oh, no. No, no no no no no!" The parade was coming down the street, following the dragons. I turned around to see the palace guards running down the street. I had no other option. I burst out onto the street, past dancers and drummers, musicians and minstrels.
I wove around the crowd, but turning my head around I saw the guards charging straight through, knocking over dancers and performers. My small, thin body allowed me to easily slip through the crowds, while the guards stumbled and fell. I ran toward the statue of a great Chinese dragon, and leapt onto it's back.
I put my hands to its neck, and as soon as my flesh touched the stone, colour burst over the features. Green, gold, black and red found its way over the hard exterior, and a shimmering light spread, not from my hands, but from the creatures heart. There was a blinding flash of light, and then a roar. The dragon beat its wings, and flew up, up, up, spiralling away. The gust of air from its wings knocked the guards down, as well as half of the parade. One of the guards stood up, and called to the sky "we will find you Ming Yon! We will find you!" But his words were blown away by the wind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi guys!
Thanks for reading! What did you all think of my first chapter? I know it's really short, but I want some feedback on what you guys think. Thanks,
CottonCandy