E P I L O G U E

E P I L O G U E

ADDISON SMOOTHED DOWN the lace of her ivory wedding dress, checking every detail to perfection before smiling brightly in the mirror. Dimitri had been kind enough to offer the wedding to take place in the mortal realm where Addison's parents and friends could attend without the need to actually die. It was a rather simple act of kindness, but this alone made Addison confirm that the one she was marrying was indeed the right man for her. Besides, Dimitri had also made Addison promise that they would have a second wedding ceremony so that the citizens in their realm, Hell, could attend as well and catch a glimpse of their new queen.

"You look enchanting, darling," her mother said, finishing up the last few curls of Addison's golden blonde hair as she wiped a stray tear away. Mrs. Pilediah was understandably emotional. After all, it was her little girl's wedding day and that was supposed to be a once in a lifetime experience.

"I can't believe that I missed so much of your life after you left for Minnie. It's so surprising that Death was able to alter parts of your parents' memory so that you never left Earth in their eyes." Bella mused in a small whisper, leaning in but her smile held an underlying tone of sadness at the mention of her late best friend. "You're finally home, even if it's only for a short period of time."

"His name is Dimitri, Bella." Chuckling, Addison shook her head lightly, the blonde ringlets of her hair slightly moving as Bella immediately rushed to gently hold them in place to ensure the sustainability of the curls. "Who knew that Death could have such a beautiful name, am I right?"

"We're all so proud of you, Addy. Me, your parents, and I am sure Minnie is too." Bella clutched onto Addison's hand tightly. "Please promise that you'll come back and visit us after you become queen. I will miss you, you know? Even when I am old and gray and sitting in a rocking chair with a pained back."

At that moment, Addison could not find the power to answer no matter how much she tried to fight for words. Bittersweet ideologies immediately began to stream through her mind, especially of how she, as an immortal being now and the queen of Hell, could never age with her friends ever again and her family would only know her as a girl that never grew past her twenties. Earlier this month, Addison had come to a hard decision in terms of her beloved parents and had requested Dimitri to help with something she could never bear to do by herself.

She wanted him to erase their memories of ever having a daughter.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" He had asked, eyebrows crumpled as he sneaked a look at Addison's parents. The afternoon sun was bright against the world and the couple was down by Addison's house when this happened, having late brunch with her parents just a week after Dimitri had asked her father for his permission to have her hand in marriage. "They are your parents after all."

"No, I am sure." Biting her lip, Addison released a long sigh before nodding her head assuredly. "Think about it this way, Dee, I can never grow old. I am immortal and while I should be in my forties, fifties, and sixties one day, they will still see me young and youthful. Won't they start to question? It is safer for them to not know about my planned destiny."

Dimitri had, of course, seemed hesitant. It was physically and emotionally painful for Addison to request that of him, but she knew that he would respect her decisions. "I will provide them with all the luxuries in the world. Ensure them a comfortable life even when they're long past their youth."

"Oh, there's no need for that." Addison had tried her best to laugh in a grim situation like this, but it came off more as a weak chuckle. "My family had always been on the wealthier side. They can provide themselves and sustain a wonderful future. I just need to make sure they are safe. Can you do that for me?"