Ch. 26: The Way We've Always Done Before

At the sound of the floor boards creaking, I awoke. A gentle breeze blew through the window on the opposite side of the room, causing my drapes to flutter. Moonlight shot in through a gap in the curtains, making it easier for me to see the figure standing in my doorway.

"Will?" I called softly.

He answered me by padding forward, stopping only to shut my door behind him. I watched his silhouette glide across the room until he had reached the side of my bed. He gently sat down beside me, the springs in my mattress screeching under the weight.

"What're you doing?" I whispered softly, taking a tendril of fire and combing my fingers through it.

"I couldn't sleep," he admitted, looking down at my chest.

I awkwardly fumbled with my blanket, trying to hitch it up to cover my breasts. I was wearing a thin, white night gown without a bra and it was cold. I prayed he hadn't seen anything too scandalous.

"Well go count sheep or something," I hissed. I felt my heart racing and I struggled to hear for any footsteps. Although my father was currently bedridden, I was still worried he'd barge through the door at any moment to kill us both.

"Hazel, your dad talked to me today and now I just can't bring myself to sleep. A dying man's last request...."

"Will, what are you going on about?" I gulped. He seemed so far away right now. Was he stable?

Will finally looked up at me, his eyes pleading. "Let me lay with you. Please."

"Will, my parents-"

"Please," he sounded more urgent. Frightened.

I looked back up at my door. No footsteps, no voices. Just the sound of the wind and our breathing. I turned back to Will, inching off to the opposite side of the bed to make room for him.

"Fine. But no funny business."

Will snorted, a smile finally coming onto his face. "Of course not."

He then proceeded to tug off his shirt before plopping down beside me, both of us staring up at my cracked and aging ceiling.

"You know, growing up, I'd always wished your dad was my dad," Will admitted. "He's a great man. He really is. Better than my step dad."

I quirked an eye brow. "Step dad? You never had a step dad."

He chuckled bitterly. "Your dad told me everything today. He told me about my real dad. How he was a low life, good for nothing delinquent. Just like me."

"William!" I snapped, twisting onto my side to glare at him.

He simply continued to glare up at the ceiling. "It's true. That's why your dad didn't want you anywhere near me. And he's right."

I thought back to when Will had stormed out of the house earlier. Was this why? Had my father gotten to him?

"But I love you. I can't keep myself from you. I've tried, and I've almost died because of it. I guess, somewhere deep in my heart, I always knew you were too good for me. Even way back in the day."

I licked my lips, feeling my heart beginning to hammer against my ribs. "Will..."

"I dated sluts. I fucked dumb bitches. I tried to keep away from you. I tried so fucking hard. But you know, I just couldn't stop myself."

He turned and locked eyes with me. He looked so calm, so tranquil. His chest rose and fell with ease, while I felt like a trapped rabbit with the fox mere inches from me, his teeth gnashing in my face.