Reality Is Better Than Your Dreams

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."

dwtsdreams

"Jenna Marie Chmerkovskiy." Jenna startled at her husband's voice in the doorway. It was 3 am and she was sitting in her son's nursery rocking the tiny infant despite the fact that he had been asleep for over an hour.

"Yes?" She whispered looking at him.

"You were missing. For the 4th night in a row." He said as he crept in quietly and settled on the footstool for their rocker. He leaned forward and pressed a kiss to his son's head before resting his own head on his wife's knee.

"I don't want to put him down." She said shrugging.

"I know beautiful, but you have to rest, you know?" He said as he sat back up and reached for her hand.

"I know. I'm not tired though babe." She said as her eyes went back towards her son's face. She watched as his little cheeks moved with his wispy breaths.

"Sweetheart, I love you, but you've got to be tired." He said as he looked at her pleadingly.

"Val." She said gently with a shake of her head.

"At least put him in the bassinet and come lay down with me." He coaxed. She sighed and begrudgingly gave up. Val smiled gently and leaned forward to kiss her first before holding out his hand and helping her up. They moved to the bedroom slowly with her stalling and taking her time. He left it be though knowing that there were reasons for her actions and he didn't want to push her.

"Momma is right here pumpkin. And papa too." Jenna said as she laid the tiny boy in his bassinet. She laid his silky next to him and rubbed his back gently ensuring he was out. Val leaned down and kissed him as well before leading Jenna to the bed when she appeared ready.

"Lay down sweetheart." Val coaxed gently as she hesitated for a second. She finally laid down and slipped to the side closest to bassinet and curled up on her side. She instinctively lifted her arm once she felt the bed dip under Val's weight as he moved next to her. His arm slid under hers as he curled into her neck. She slipped her hand into his as she pressed the rest of her body into his.

"I love you." He whispered.

"I love you too." She sighed.

"You alright?" He asked concerned. The little family had been through a ton lately. Shane Max Chmerkovskiy had come into his parent's world, approximately 8 weeks early. There had been an accident which jumpstarted Jenna's labor. The doctor's had tried relentlessly to stop the contractions but eventually it was time for the little one to come into the world. Upon his birth, he had weighed 2 lbs and could have fit in Val's hand. His lungs weren't developed, his heart was having trouble beating, and his kidneys were almost developed however they weren't quite done yet. The little one had a long road ahead of him as did his parents.

"Yeah." She said softly despite the clear emotion in her voice. Shane had finally came home two weeks ago. Despite two major setbacks during his stay in the NICU, he was doing amazingly well. He wasn't showing any signs of delays or anything however the two parents knew the immensity of the tiny miracle in front of them.

"Come here." Val said flipping Jenna over and pulling her into his chest. She hesitated at first knowing that she couldn't see Shane anymore but then relaxed into her husband's embrace. "Talk to me babe."

"I, I don't know Val. I just I'm content. And I know it and I think I've been waiting for it for so long that now that I have it, I don't want to sleep because this all feels so right. I have you and our love and now Shane. And after everything, it's just such a miracle that he's here, he's healthy, and he's with us. It's not so much that I'm anxious or scared. It's just that I don't want to go to sleep because this reality right here, right now is perfect." She said as she leaned back just enough that she could see his eyes.

"It is perfect babe, I will give you that. Right now, everything that means the absolute most to me is in this room right now. And I wouldn't change that for anything."

"So you understand why I just want to soak all this in. We've gone through so much Val and now that it's all here and ours, I don't want to miss any of it."

"I understand beautiful but not to be the dream crusher right now but you do have to sleep. Or else you are going to miss something when you crash. It'll all be here when you wake up. I promise. We have Shane with us, he's healthy and safe. And I'm not going anywhere, ever."

"Promise?" She asked with a slight yawn.

"I promise, sleep baby. We'll both be right here when you wake up. It'll still be as perfect then." He said as he pressed a kiss to her nose.

"I love you." She said before sliding down and settling into his chest.

"I love you too." He said as he felt her start to drift.

"Will you...." She started but then stopped as she felt his fingers start to rub her back gently. It wasn't long before the whole family was asleep, perfect as ever.

*I hope you guys loved it! Begin Again is set to be updated next! Don't forget to like this one up and let me know what you thought! 😘