Chapter Twenty: Chunin Exams Interlude

Third pov

Shiori had followed Hayate to the Hokage's office after everyone had been dismissed.

"Why are you following me?" Hayate asked after a while.

"I'm not," Shiori replied, "We're just going to the same place."

"And why are you going to the Hokage's office?" he asked, clearly curious.

"My team met Orochimaru in the Forest of Death. I have information for him."

Hayate nodded, "I see. I'm sorry, I'm in a hurry so I'm afraid I'm going to have to leave you behind."

Shiori grinned, "Already on it," she said disappearing in a shushin sans the smoke.

Hayate stood still for a moment before chuckling slightly in amusement and shushin-ing to the Hokage's office as well.

"Yo," Shiori said when Hayate entered the room to see Yugao reporting to the Hokage and the girl in the prelims standing next to her.

"Yugao! You're safe! Thank god," Hayate said before breaking into a coughing fit.

"Of course I am Hayate," Yugao assured trying to soothe his cough.

"Hayate, what are you here for?" Hiruzen asked with a grim smile.

"I have the list of finalist, Hokage-sama," Hayate answered, handing the piece of paper over.

"I see...I will hand that over to Genma. Now, Hayate, I have one more job for you. There is something amiss with the Sound and Sand. I want you to keep and eye on their jonin commander and the sound genin. Any information you find out must come directly to me," Sarutobi said seriously.

"Uh...Hokage-sama..." Shiori interrupted.

Hayate's eyebrow rose. What did the girl have to say on this?

"Yes, Shiori?" The Third asked patiently.

"Sir...it is not a good idea to send Hayate-san to spy on them," Said man frowned.

Was she doubting his ability?

"What is the problem?" The Third asked curiously.

"I'm not doubting Hayate-san's ability-"

'Damn, she's like psychic,' Hayate thought.

"-but he won't return from the mission alive," Shiori said certainly.

The Hokage paused then said the last thing he expected to come out of his mouth, "I understand. Do you perhaps have an alternative?"

"Well...I know what they're planning," Shiori grinned.

"So, Shiori, tell me. What's going to happen?"

"The Sound and the Sand are planning to invade Konoha during the final exam. Orochimaru has killed the Kazekage and is using his impersonating him right now. He's using the Kakazekage's authority to invade us."

"I knew he was planning something big. I didn't expect this though," Sarutobi shook his head grimly.

"Hang on. How do you know this? Is your information reliable?" Hayate felt the need to ask.

Shiori shrugged, "You don't."

"Helpful," Hayate muttered.

"And how are they planning to set up their attack?" The Third asked.

"Gaara's going to knock himself out and let the Sand Tanuki take over. That's the signal to begin the attack." Shiori shook her head regretfully.