Epilogue: Until We Meet Again

A month later...

The wind carried the excited shouts of children flying kites and the voices of old ladies bargaining furiously at the markets across the village. The sun bore down relentlessly on the streets, the sweltering heat almost unbearable. 

But despite that, things seemed to be back to normal, more or less. There was an air of calmness which had cloaked the village, as everyone returned to their day-to-day lives. It was a happy day. 

It was also a day for farewells.

The Konoha 15, as they were newly dubbed after the Chunin Exams, had congregated at the main gates of Konohagakure no Sato early in the morning, surrounded by many other familiar faces as well. No doubt, to see off the five who were embarking on their own quest out of the village. 

"I can't believe you guys are leaving for so long," Kiba shook his head in disbelief.

"We'll be back stronger than ever. Believe it!" Naruto cheered.

"We're not gonna lose to you guys when we come back!" Leiko said determinedly.

"Since when was this a competition?" Shiori muttered, shooting her friend a look.

Leiko was always competitive with her brother. Shiori sighed as Leiko began describing all the possibilities of what they could learn on the trip and how she would definitely beat Neji once she returned.

"I agree with my sister," Neji interrupted what would have been a never-ending speech from Leiko, "I would like to fight you two upon your return."

"How did I get dragged into this?" Shiori asked the clouds. 

"As do I! I cannot wait for your youthful return! I did not get to fight any of you during the exams," Lee shouted in enthusiasm whilst Tenten tried to calm him down.

Many reminiscent looks were shared of the Exams from two months ago. It had been the beginning of conflict in the normally peaceful village but had also laid the foundations of a strong bond between the Konoha shinobi of their generation.

Shino nodded at the white-eyed kunoichi.

"I wish to fight you again, Leiko. Why? Because I want to beat you next time," Shino stated.

"Me too. I want to fight your bugs again. They're a good challenge," Leiko grinned.

This opened a gateway for many new challengers. Everyone was eager to get their rematch with each other or fight someone they'd missed out during the exams.

"I wanna fight Aoi!" Kiba shouted.

"Huh? Why me?" Aoi groaned.

"Cause you will definitely lose!" Kiba claimed.

"K-kiba-kun! That's m-mean!" Hinata squeaked.

He shrugged, "It's the truth. Aoi wouldn't lay a finger on Akamaru."

"Somehow, I can't even refute that," Aoi sighed.

"I'm gonna be the first one to spar Tenten when we get back! I'm gonna get better at summoning and win!" Akiko grinned widely. 

"I'll be much stronger when you come back," Tenten replied with an unspoken promise.

It were the jonin who brought everyone back from their future plans and Kaoru asked the important question.

"Do you have any plans for where you're travelling?" she asked.

"We're planning to do a loop around the continent. We want to go everywhere we can step foot on!" Leiko answered excitedly.