Chapter 3

When I finally woke, it was late morning, early afternoon. The dull ache refused to go away, but seemed to have lessened considerably. Just as I began to wonder why, I saw him. He had the only black wolf in the pack, so there was no mistaking him: Alpha Thorn. His bright silver eyes tracked our every move, sending tingles through me.

In a sudden wave of confused anger, I leapt up and snarled at him. My fur bristling; my teeth bared, I approached threateningly. His wolf bristled slightly at my hostility, but he could see the fear and pain in my eyes. In the end, love for his mate won him over and he approached me cautiously, head and tail lowered, asking for permission to come closer. Trinity whined uncertainly and my wall crumbled. Gone was the fierce dominant female, I was just a young wolf that yearned for her mate. And now, even when he stood before me, my heart pined for another as well.

Whimpering like a lost pup, I curled up on the ground my muzzle tucked under my tail. Alpha Thorn made a noise somewhere between a whine and a growl. He wanted so badly to comfort me, but his rational side knew that if he did, the other two would become dangerously aggressive. Instead, he disappeared into the bushes.

A few minutes later, he returned in human form. His hair was a mess and there were bags under his eyes.
"Nyra? Would it be possible for you to shift?" I looked up at him and for some reason he looked strangely unfamiliar. Then, I realised why, it was the first time I'd seen him express any sort of emotion.  His usually cold grey eyes were filled with pain and conflicted emotions flashed across his features. I didn't move.
"Please. Nyra, I just want to talk to you." His voice almost cracked. It was a shock to see my stoic stone-hearted Alpha on the verge of tears. It broke my heart.

Trinity noticed my hesitation and shifted for me. Alpha Thorn tossed me an oversized shirt he had found to cover me. I instantly pulled it on before collapsing on the ground again.

"Be strong Nyra. We will get through this." Trinity urged, gently lifting my head to face Alpha Thorn.
"Alpha Thorn," I began, but he cut me short.
"Hadrien." He said, I gave him a questioning look. "My name's Hadrien." Nodding, I continued.
"Alpha Th-, Hadrien, I have nothing to say. I don't know what to do anymore. It's pretty straightforward for you. You want me, for I am your mate. And you'll do anything to protect me. I however, feel that exact same way towards three wolves. I don't know who I am or what I'm doing anymore." I was dangerously close to tears, my vision blurry.

Cautiously, Alpha Thorn - Hadrien - crouched down beside me. A gentle hand reached out almost apprehensively and slowly stroked my hair. It was too much for me, and the dam broke. Warm salty tears flowed down my face as I sobbed quietly.
"That's why I've come to talk with you. In the end you'll have to make a choice. If the Moon Goddess is kind, she will grant the other two with a second mate. The only question is, who will you choose?"
"Not the visiting Alpha" my voice was terrifyingly cold. Alpha Thorn only sighed. "I was sort of hoping you'd say that." He chuckled slightly and I smiled half-heartedly.

"But what about Chris?" I whimpered and he visibly tensed.
"Nyra... It is more important for the Alpha to have a mate than the Gamma's son. You are my mate, the pack's Luna... Please." I looked up at him, his eyes were pleading with me and fear shimmered in their depths. Fear of losing me.
"Please." Trinity whimpered in my mind.

Slowly, cautiously, I leaned into Hadrien, and he responded by wrapping his arms around me. I felt safe in his arms, with my head against his beating heart. He continued to stroke my hair as I continued to cry quietly. The only thought that was going through my head was that I hoped Chris would understand.