Chapter 18

Nyra

I opened my eyes and looked up to see the sharp jawline of Blake. He was cradling me against his bare chest as he carried me through the rain back to the pack house. I was shivering uncontrollably, and I had never felt more drained in my life. Sensing my wakefulness, Blake glared down at me but said nothing. Eventually, a combination of my utter exhaustion and the steady motion of his walk rocked me into oblivion.

When I next woke, I was in a large bed, basically drowning in the thick duvet and blankets. Beside me, with his arm wrapped around my waist, Blake lay fast asleep. Outside, the rain finally seemed to have stopped, and the silence was deafening.
"If he doesn't take that filthy limb off of us, he won't have an arm anymore." Trinity snarled. I ignored her, too tired to move, so she took partial control over my body and gently wriggled out from under the dead weight that was his arm. He groaned and rolled over, but didn't wake up.
"Can I go to sleep now?" I growled tiredly.
"Yes you can. You need to finish healing." With one final yawn, I closed my eyes and drifted off.

* * *
"Get up, Nyra." Blake said harshly as he shook me awake. My eyes snapped open and I snarled at him, warning him off. Rolling his eyes, he rolled out of the bed and got to his feet. I watched him cautiously as he pulled on a shirt and wandered into the bathroom. Once he disappeared through the doorway, I rolled over onto my back and stared blankly up at the ceiling. The last thing I remember from last night was my confrontation with Hadrien. The rest was a blank.
"What happened?" I asked Trinity.
"Nothing. Blake found us and took us back to the pack house." I could tell she was lying, but I  decided to drop the subject.

"You're still not up." Blake growled. I looked at him out the corner of my eye and shrugged.
"You were in the bathroom."
"We're mates, Nyra, there's nothing wrong with being in the bathroom with me." Both Trinity and I bristled and I bared my elongated canines as they sprouted from my gums. Blake just rolled his eyes and muttered under his breath,
"And I thought I was actually getting somewhere with you." I pretended not to hear his remark and  pushed past him into the bathroom. I slammed the door and locked it before he could attempt to enter behind me and proceeded to get ready for the day.

I came out again, dressed in black combat trousers, a black vest top and my usual combat boots. Laid out on my bedside table were my knives and leaning against the wall was my bow and quiver of arrows. I strapped on my knife vest and holsters, attaching my array of throwing knives in their usual places around my body. The bow and quiver went over my shoulders and there was only one weapon left on the table. I reached down and wrapped my fingers around the hilt of my Bowie knife. The nylon grip digging comfortably in my palm as the matte black blade reflected the morning light with a dull shine. The weight and length were perfect, like a deadly extension of my arm.

"You done admiring your toys?" I tensed as he came uncomfortably close behind me. His breath fluttered against my neck and his arms slid around my waist, pulling me against him. A warning growl rippled up from my throat and my grip on the knife tightened. Obviously choosing to ignore me, he lowered his face to my neck. The growl escalated into a livid snarl as Trinity's fury combined with mine.
"Get... off... me." I spoke through gritted teeth. He was either deaf or trying to provoke me.
"You're so beautiful, Nyra. And you're mine."

That was too much for Trinity.

An elbow to his gut made him retract his arms and gave me the space needed to pivot. I whirled round with the knife in my hand, grabbing his shirt collar with my free hand and holding the blade to his throat. Trinity was at the forefront of my mind, and Blake could clearly see the seething wolf beneath the surface trying to break through. Fear flickered in his eyes and sweat was rapidly collecting on his brow.
"I said get off me." As I glared at him, I was internally fighting to hold Trinity back from tearing into him. As if sensing this, Blake swallowed hard, his Adams apple bobbing up against the blade.

I was so happy I had fast reactions, because without me realising he had unsheathed one of his own knives.
There was a quiet whoosh of a blade slicing through the air and I leapt back just as a knife slashed through the space my arm had just been.
"Oh, that is too far." Trinity snarled and forcefully shoved me to the back of our mind. I watched on, wide-eyed as the full force of my wolf's fury was unleashed on the Alpha.

The blade came at us again, but our knife met it with a clash of steel against steel. Trinity leaned into the parry, forcing Blake to shift his stance and push back. Due to him being focused on keeping her back, he didn't notice our foot sweeping round behind his legs. He landed flat on his back, his head making a sickening sound against the hardwood floor. We stood over him as he tried to recover from the impact. When his glazed eyes finally focused again, he tightened the grip on his knife, readying to attack, but we placed our foot on his wrist. We slowly leaned our weight down on it, causing him to cry out and drop the knife. When he continued to struggle against me, I leaned more weight on his wrist and it slowly became closer and closer to snapping.

That was when it hit me, I was physically injuring him, something no real mate is ever able to do.
"You liar!" I snarled angrily, stamping down on his wrist and finally snapping it. He almost screamed in pain as he curled up with his wrist cradled against his chest. Trinity had never been more furious in her life. Pure unadulterated hatred towards this single person made our blood boil, and seeing him suffer because of us was amazing. My mind went back to last night and the cruel words I had said to Hadrien, my true mate and the guilt hit me like a sledgehammer to the gut.

Our pain and fury merged as wolf and human became one, eyes blazing and ivory fangs glistening in the golden sunlight. Blake's expression was one of pure terror as he stared up at us.
"I-I-" He stammered pathetically.
"You what?" He shut his mouth, too scared to talk, he was trembling from head to foot from fear and the agony from his wrist.
"You... what?" I snarled venomously, my voice like a sliver of ice and deceptively calm. I stood over him, my form casting his face in shadow as he continued to whimper pathetically in pain.

"Y-Your DNA... Samples needed... Needed to strengthen and develop the specimens..."
"What are you talking about? What specimens?" I snarled. Trinity was livid at the mention of our DNA, how had they managed to take samples without us realising?
"How do and shy do you think all those young wolves come in every day?" He tried to raise an eyebrow sarcastically in an attempt to make up for his pathetic state.
"So you could develop and strengthen your pack." I replied slowly, suddenly unsure. He snorted.
"You seriously think those sad excuses for werewolves would do anything to benefit the pack?" I snarled at him angrily.
"If Alpha Thorn hadn't taken me in when I was 'a sad excuse for a werewolf' I would be dead and you would never have found me." I stated simply and watched his face still as the thought processed.

"Now I suggest you explain yourself before I snap your second wrist." I growled.
"Actually, I suggest you learn to respect you Alpha." He flashed me a cold, evil smile and opened up his hand, revealing what looked like a panic button. A split second later, ten wolves burst into the room and swarmed me. I had no time to react as a net was thrown over me and yanked, instantly tightening around me in a cocoon. We snarled and thrashed, tearing at the burning silver cords in a desperate attempt to escape. I could feel Trinity fading as the silver slowly cut off our connection.
"Trinity!" I cried desperately, struggling with everything I had to stop our connection from severing entirely.
"Don't stop fighting Nyra!" She called back, struggling just as hard against the pull of the hated metal, but we both knew it was futile. Slowly, excruciatingly, I felt her presence slowly fade from my mind. It was only then that I noticed the tears streaming down my face. I almost welcomed the blow that sent me into oblivion.