Chapter 22

Maya

Nyra circled us menacingly and we mirrored her movements, a technique taught to us in training. Alpha Thorn watched us, tense with worry and ready to leap in and defend his mate.
"Tell his wolf to stay back." I ordered Eclipse. She ignored my tone and just nodded, reaching out to Thorn's mind as I kept an eye on Nyra, focusing on the warm energy inside me and forming a protective cocoon around us. Once we had both completed our tasks, Trinity and I combined our efforts together and reached out towards Nyra's mind, pushing through the pain and anger and tearing at her mental barrier.

I was suddenly in that dream world once more, the world was dark except for the pulsing golden glow of the mist. Off to the left, I saw Thorn and his wolf, Loup standing side by side, Thorn holding his snarling wolf back by its scruff. Beside me, Eclipse nodded reassuringly at the two males before we disappeared into the mist.

I pushed through the swirling tendrils, letting my instincts guide me. When I finally reached a gap in the swirling mass, I found an intricate golden cage and within it, a girl and wolf thrashed. The girl was attacking the wolf, grabbing at its face and throat in an attempt to suffocate it whilst the wolf tried desperately to escape without harming her. I watched on in horror as Trinity clawed at the bars of the cage, crying out for help as Nyra's tortured mind held her captive. They had been separated for too long and Nyra now couldn't cope with another in her mind; she was trying to kill her own wolf. Eclipse instantly sprinted off into the mist in the direction of Nyra's mates and I rushed towards the cage.

Trinity saw me and began crying out for help, her emerald eyes filled with fear. I rushed to her and grabbed at Nyra's arms in an attempt to pull her off Trinity, but it was futile. Whilst her physical body was weak, her mind was stronger than ever and she brushed me off easily. I continued to fight though, using every ounce of strength to help Trinity, hoping desperately that Eclipse would return soon.

I was shoved aside by rough hands as Thorn arrived. I watched on in stunned awe as Loup tore away at the cage as if it was fabric and allowed Trinity to escape. She instantly rushed to his side, burying her face in his scruff as he nuzzled her comfortingly. Thorn, however, had a much harder job. He rushed into the cage through the hole Loup had made and basically tackled Nyra, pinning her to the ground. She thrashed beneath him, trying desperately to move his weight but it was pointless on her part. Once she realised that it was hopeless, she calmed down and he hesitantly rolled off her whilst gently holding her in his arms. It seemed that despite her fragile mental state, the mate bond seemed to be working to calm her down. He whispered to her softly and stroked her hair soothingly whilst Loup continued to reassure Trinity that Nyra would be okay; I just watched on in a sort of wonder.

Thorn eventually let go of Nyra and gently helped her to her feet before taking her hand. She remained tense with her eyes darting nervously between the four of us as he slowly led her over. They stopped a few paces away and Loup stepped forward with a trembling Trinity, supporting her both emotionally and physically. Nyra's eyes went dark at the sight of the copper wolf and I saw Thorn's grip on her hand tighten slightly as he prepared to hold her back if necessary. Step by nervous step, the pair came together. With her eyes lowered and adopting a submissive posture, Trinity reached out towards Nyra, whining slightly. The girl observed the wolf coldly with hard eyes, her stance radiating open hostility. My heart was racing in nervous anticipation as we watched them, not daring to breathe.

With her hand still clasped in his, Thorn reached their intertwined hands out to the fiery wolf, gently stroking her thick fur. After a few minutes, Nyra seemed to relax a bit and Thorn finally released her hand. Loup retreated a bit to give the two a bit of space as Nyra knelt down beside Trinity and buried her hands in her scruff. As he watched his mates, Thorn's eyes were filled with so much love it took my breath away.