Mates and Hiding

He walked into my heart like he always belonged there
Took down my walls and lit my soul on fire

We landed in Virginia 14 hours later and I easily found a motel that wouldn't ask any questions. I went to a diner, fed on a drunk, and disposed of the body in a dumpster before setting it on fire. I couldn't help but think about my boys and what they must be doing right now. Probably looking for me, David probably wants to kill me by now.

I spent the rest of the night sleeping, figuring if I made myself sleep now I could stay awake in the day time.

I stayed in Virginia, just hanging around, moving to different towns for a while. Whenever I thought of leaving it felt like I couldn't bring myself to, so I just kept traveling, but something about the next town I was in made my heart sing. My stomach developed all these butterflies as I passed the 'Welcome to Mystic Falls' sign, and I quickly found I hated this small town. It was simple, quaint, and everything my boardwalk wasn't, I wanted to be back there, the night life is what I live for, the lights, the music, but I couldn't go back, it was almost like a tether pulling me into town, not letting me turn back.

I found a small boarding house right in the middle of town and checked in with a nice old lady before dropping off my stuff and walking around. Now that I'm in the real world with people all the time I felt kind of gross that I was still in my clothes, but vampires don't have washing machines where I'm from. There was a mall in the town I passed before this and I planned on going and getting a new outfit as soon as this one was worn out. After living with boys in a cave for 30 years I was nothing if not used to being dirty. I sat at the bar of a place called Mystic Grill and ordered a bourbon. I had to flash my fangs before the bartender got it for me, but he seemed almost angry about what I am, not scared. "Who in their right mind would change a child? You can't be more than 15!"

"14 actually, and chill out, I've come to terms with it. Does everyone know about the supernatural in this town?"

"No, so don't go flashing your fangs anymore, there are hunters around here. At the same time though you might have to be more scared of the vampires. Was your maker a Mikaelson? It wouldn't shock me one of them could do this to a child! Probably Kol!"

"Um...okay. Sure. I'm Rian by the way." I played off his question, not wanting to admit to where I'm really from.

"Matt, don't worry, I'll talk to Damon, he'll get everyone to leave you alone. Especially if you have dirt on the Mikaelsons." He quickly walked away and I rolled my eyes, finishing my drink. I hung around for the next hour watching the TV before deciding to leave. That's when I heard it. "How Could You!? Even You Can't Be That Cold Hearted! To Change A 14 Year Old!" Matt was screaming at a man who had just walked in a sat at a booth with who I assumed was his family.

"What are you talking about? We don't change anyone under 18, we made that agreement a long time ago young Matt." Another guy explained. He was wearing a suit and looked very businessy.

"Explain her then!" He demanded pointing at me and I froze under their stares. I quickly jumped from my seat, speeding to the door and sprinting into the forest. I could hear them behind me almost immediately. I quickly took off, flying up into a tree for some coverage and hiding in between some branches, seeing 4 people stop below me.

"I don't understand, the trail stops here!" The girl hissed.

"Rebekah, calm down. Do you smell anything Niklaus? You would pick it up better than us."

"No Elijah, nothing. It's like she disappeared. After 1000 years I will not lose her! I will have every hybrid in town looking for her! I will finally have my mate!" He growled and it was at that moment I took a deep smell. I was hit with an overwhelming scent of leather, pine and what could only be described as home. I felt almost high in that moment, like I was safe and nothing could bring me down from my cloud, and then he was gone. They all were suddenly gone. Traditional vampires, they had to be to run that fast, or cold ones, but they didn't sparkle in the sun. Suddenly wishing I had paid attention in some of Max's mating lessons, I didn't know what to do. I walked slowly all the way back to the boarding house and grabbed my bag, leaving back to town. I followed the strong scent that seemed to be everywhere, back into streets with houses on them. There was a large house on the edge of town where the scent was coming from and I quickly hid in the trees surrounding the house. I listened carefully as they talked inside.

"You have every hybrid out there looking, everyone who could ever want into your good graces will be looking for her. We'll find her Niklaus, preferably before you start getting violent. She has to know who you are to her."

"She's 14 Elijah, no she doesn't. I mean yeah, she has to know there's something different about him but that doesn't mean she understands he's her mate. She's a child, and we don't know how old she really is. For all we know she may actually be 14." Rebekah explained causing a large crash to come from inside.

"Niklaus! Calm Down! Your anger will solve nothing! All you will do is scare her if she does show up! We'll teach her what we must, she is family now. We will help you, Always and Forever."