Chapter 17

“That’s looking wonderful, Peeta!” My doctor says.

“Thank you.” I reply, staring at the cake before me.

It’s almost finished, and it’s truly beautiful. Three tiers, covered in blue fondant, fluffy white icing creating clouds that wrap around the cake, giving the impression of the ocean and sky. I smile at my handiwork, proud.

“I like the waves.” She says, gesturing to the folds of darker icing, topped with white to create seafoam.

“Me too,” I grin. “Now all I have left is the fondant decorations.”

From under the kitchen bench I pull a heavy, silver tray. It’s cool against my hands, and weighted with hundreds of small decorations – boats, seabirds, flowers, fish and shells – all made entirely out of fondant.

“They’re beautiful.” She says, as I pull out an icing bag.

I gently attach the decorations with sticky icing, pressing them carefully into place.

“Thank you.” I reply. “They took me forever to make.”

I smile and step back, standing beside the doctor to observe the finished product.

“That’s amazing, you have a talent.” The doctor says and I grin with pride.

I like my doctor, she does care. And she doesn’t shy away from me; act as if I’m crazy, like everyone else in District 13 does.

It is a day before the wedding. Tomorrow, Finnick and Annie will be married. Married. The word rattles through me like a warning bell as a thought comes to mind. Katniss, on the train on the Victory Tour, saying we should get married. I feel a dull thump in my chest as I remember agreeing to the idea, then going to my room, my eyes blurred with tears. But I’m not crying anymore. If anything I’m happy for Finnick and Annie. Well, Annie at least. I’m not yet sure if I can trust Finnick. But if Annie loves him, then he can’t be that bad.

“Mr Mellark?”

I turn and see a guard, here to escort me back to my room. I’ve been in the kitchen, baking. After they realised how much calmer I am when I’m baking, I’ve been allowed to go to the kitchen once a day, as long as I’m accompanied.

I go over to the guard and allow him to lead me back to my room, his hand firmly on my shoulder. As the door opens, I see my doctor setting up a TV on wheels in the centre of the floor.

“Thank you.” She says to the guard, dismissing him. Then she turns to me. “Hello, Peeta. Would you like to watch something?”

“Like what?” I ask, suspiciously.

“Like the 74th Games?”

I think about it for a long time, the silence in the room thick and heavy.

“You don’t have to if…” my doctor starts, but I cut her off.

“I…I think…I want to.” I say, hesitantly.

“Okay.” My doctor says, simply. “Should I go?”

“No,” I say, “Don’t go.”

I need her. This won’t be easy. I sit down on the edge of my bed, and she hits play.