Chapter 10

“Peeta!” Caesar exclaims, looking away from the camera and back to me. “It’s great to see you!”

“You too, Caesar.” I reply.

“So, how are you liking the Capitol?” he asks

“Just getting used to the showers.” I smile wanly

“Still?” Caesar laughs and I force a grin.

Caesar’s smile fades.

“But seriously, Peeta. What do you think about these rumours that Katniss is propaganda clips, or “propos”, for the rebels?”

Sounds like something she would do, I think to myself.

“They’re using her, obviously.” I say. “To whip up the rebels. I doubt she even really knows what’s going on in the war. What’s at stake.”

“Is there anything you’d like to tell her?” Caesar asks me.

“There is.” I say and look directly into the camera. If I can play this “star-crossed lovers” thing right Katniss won’t suspect a thing. I can take her by surprise.

“Don’t be a fool, Katniss. Think for yourself.” I say into the camera. “They’ve turned you into a weapon that could be instrumental in the destruction of humanity. If you’ve got any real influence, use it to put the brakes on this thing. Ask yourself, do you really trust the people you’re working with? Do you really know what’s going on? And if you don’t…find out.”

A red light on the camera goes off.

“CUT!” The director calls. “Peeta, that was perfect.”

“That’s what she wants, you know.” I tell the crew in a whisper. “The destruction of humanity? It’s what she wants.”