Chapter 23

But apparently “absolutely not” doesn’t mean what I think, because this morning I’m out training with everyone else. Sure, the other soldiers aren’t accompanied by two huge guards, but it isn’t a big deal. Much. I work out with everyone else and run around the track. It’s actually remarkable hard at first, training with my prosthetic leg after so long not having to run on it. It’s difficult, but I keep working until lunch, and by then it’s easier.

In the afternoon, there is a disagreement over whether I should be allowed on gun practise with the others. I say I’m fine, my leader disagrees.

“No. Absolutely not.” He says.

Then his holo beeps and he reads a message off of the tiny screen.

“Fine.” He sighs, exasperated. “You’re in the beginners group, Soldier Mellark.”

“Yes, Soldier Fields.” I say, surprised.

Apparently the words “absolutely not” are losing all meaning, which is fine by me.

For the whole afternoon, I practise assembling and loading a gun. We aren’t allowed to fire yet, though. I wonder, amused, if it’s anything to do with me. It takes a few days until we can actually fire the gun. Soldier Fields hands me an already-assembled gun with everyone else.

“Today you will learn how to fire a gun.” Soldier Fields barks. “Accuracy, skill and focus.”

Is it me, or did he just look at me when he said focus?

“And Soldier Mellark, I made sure we loaded you up with blanks.” He said, patronisingly.

“Yes, Soldier Fields.” I say, through gritted teeth.

I am driven to the brink of madness all afternoon. Not only does Fields go out of his way to irritate me with snide comments, but none of the other beginners will come near me. The first time I raised the stupid gun the others practically ran for cover. Just to top my session off, Katniss spends the entire afternoon shooting me looks ranging from shock to confusion. However, I’m still fighting and I am determined to go to the Capitol. I will fight, no matter what.