Chapter 3

The peacekeepers close the door behind them as they leave me alone in my room. I look around, stunned. I honestly thought I’d be staying in some kind of prison, a cell at the very least. But although the door is locked, my room is spectacular, just like my room in the training centre.

 A bowl of steaming soup, some bread and pastry filled with jam are laid on a table by my bed. What if they’re trying to poison me? No, they’d just kill me in my sleep, inject me. It would be cleaner, quicker. I take a tentative bite of bread. It seems fine so I finish the soup and bread, then pick at the pastry throughout the evening. I’m satisfied, but not too full. That’s good. The Capitol food is rich, and it used to make me sick. I still find it heavy, filling, but that meal was lovely; simple, but lovely.

That’s when I spot the security camera in the corner, up by the ceiling. That’s alright. It’s a bit odd, yes, but I’m used to people watching my every move by now. I unfold the nightclothes on my bed and go into the bathroom.

Ten minutes later I lie in bed, even more confused than I was earlier. This morning, I was in the arena. I was scared but everything kind of made sense. Now, I’m in the Capitol. I’m a prisoner. But I don’t feel like a prisoner, I feel like a guest. I’m being looked after, in my soft, warm bed, eating my luxurious food.

But I’ve still got one massive problem; are Katniss and the other Victors okay?

The next day I sit under the camera, my back pressed against the wall. I’m not hiding from the camera; I just thought I could do with a moment alone.

“Peeta Mellark?” A voice says.

I look up

“Yes?”

“Could you come downstairs to President Snow’s office, please?”

I nod, then realise they can’t see me because of where I’m sat.

“Yes, of course. Does a peacekeeper need to escort me?” I ask

“No, that’s alright, Peeta. Just make your way down. It’s down the main stairs and to your right.”

“Okay. Thank you.” I say, stunned. I’m allowed out of my room without a Peacekeeper?

“Your door has been unlocked using a computer. And, Peeta?” the voice asks

“Yes?”

“Could you sit in view of the camera in future?”

“Oh, okay.” I say, and leave my room.