Fifty Two // Birdie.

I firmly believe that friends are the family that you choose, in fact Calum and I both did and that was the exact reason that instead of beginning our next day in New Zealand, Calum and I were on our way back home to Australia, to go and meet the newest member of our chosen family. 

The call Calum had received from Michael this morning was not something we were anticipating, just like Michael and Aria were not anticipating their daughter arriving two weeks earlier than she should of. 

Birdie Katherine Clifford was born in the early morning of june the 30th and although she was two weeks early, she was in perfect health. Michael assured Calum that everything was completely fine and that he just wanted to let us know but Calum and I felt weird being in another country when our best friends had just had one of the biggest and most special moments in their life, and even if they wouldn't want to admit it, I'm sure there was a part of them that both wanted and needed us there and that's why Calum and I were on our way home. Michael and Aria had always been there for the two of us and we thought it was only right to return the favour and be there with them. 

"You sure you don't mind that we're going home early?" I ask Calum once again as we make ourselves comfortable, our flight was just about ready to take off and within two or so hours we would be back home. 

"Genie we both agreed to leave," Calum mutters.

"I know we did but I just wanted to be sure." I explain leaning my head on Calum's shoulder, I already knew at some point during the next two hours that I would probably fall asleep at some point, how was it that one moment you could feel completely energized and then feel like you need to sleep for a million years the next?

"How crazy is it that Michael Clifford is now responsible for a another human being? I still remember him calling and asking what my mum was making for dinner before he agreed to come and stay the night." Calum recalls and I smile at his memory, sometimes I forgot just how long the boys had known each other.

"He's going to be such a great dad," I muse. "Aria and him are such a good couple."

"Yeah definitely." Calum agrees, his hand moving to rest on my thigh. "The guys and I definitely need to start a dad group."

"A dad group?" I snort in amusement. "Are we sure Luke is going to actually settle down and have kids?"

"He will," Calum sounds confident in his answer and I would admit that I knew Luke would definitely join the club and settle down one day. "And I plan on becoming a dad sooner or later so I think it would be a cool idea, I feel like you don't really hear of dad groups."

"You know you might actually have a point." Mum groups were 100% more common and heard of than dad groups so if Calum was serious about starting one day, even if it was just with the boys then I think that would be pretty awesome.

"I think it would be cool, just a bunch of daddies."

"Yeah," I lift my head from Calum shoulders and shoot him a smirk. "Just a bunch of daddies."

"You just had to go there didn't you?" Calum scrunches his nose up at me and I can't help but laugh at his expression. 

"You set yourself up for that one okay?" I point out. "And to be honest you are definitely going to be DILF." 

"Oh wow," Calum chuckles shaking his head at me. "I never knew I needed to hear that until this moment." 

<~>

The hospital was never a place I enjoyed visiting, I don't think anybody really looked forward to it, unless it was to go and meet a new little person who had been born, then I was more than happy to make that visit, which luckily for me was exactly what I was on my way to do right now.