4

Twenty minutes later as we pulled out of town, I had time to check out the scenery. With Bryce driving, I didn't have to pay attention to the road. We were passing some beautiful country headed north.

"Your car looks small but it has more room than I thought it would have."

"My grandpa bought it just before my seventeenth birthday. He promised a F-150 for graduation. But he died a month before."

"I'm sorry for your loss." He pat my arm.

"Its ok. If I had gotten the truck, Gary would have taken it away as punishment as soon as grandpa gave it to me. As it is, he doesn't like cars, so I was safer with the car. I guess that's why he got me the focus, he knew the bastard didn't like cars."

"Grandpa sounds like a great man."

I smiled as I remember our last time together. "He was. He was a dare devil in late bloom. Our last time together, He got me on the tallest roller coaster in Texas. Now most people scream and hold their hands up, or close their eyes. Not my grandpa, he blindfolded us. We had to hold our forefinger on the other's lips. The first one to open their mouth, owed the winner a thousand hugs. He collected only five hugs before he died driving me home that night. He had a massive heart attack, just after dropping me off at home. I was watching his car drive away and saw it hit a tree about a block away from my house." Bryce wiped a tear off my cheek. I hadn't realized that I was crying. "Thank you. I'm sorry, I haven't cried since it happened. Gary and mother said that it was my fault. That I killed him. But I know that I didn't. Grandpa lived his life to the fullest. He was the last person to show me any type of love. And I know that I made him happy, just as he made me happy. That's why this car is so special to me. It is also why you are the only person who has ever driven it more than a quarter of a mile."

"I'm honored that you trust me that much, Mia mine."

"Why do you call me that? Mia mine?"

"Because one of these days, you will be mine. My wife, my love, my everything."

"I can't be. I'm too damaged."

"We shall see, Mia mine! We shall see!"

The trip to the ranch from town took almost an hour. But it was worth it. "On this crossroad right ahead, starts our ranch on the right. It goes for just over a half mile by the road way. Half way through that, on the right, you'll see another cross road. We will take that, the only house on that road is ours. Right now it is just Tristan, and you, and I, living in the house. My brother will come to live there when he gets home from the Army." He started to slow down for the turn. There was a sign that proclaimed the direction of the 'Broken Spoke Ranch' on the right. The mountains were a beautiful backdrop for the huge house that sat on a hill in the distance. To the left of the house were three big barns, all were painted red with green metal roofs. There were horses grazing in the pasture on one side of the barns. Cows on the other side.

The house itself was made of stone and logs with huge plate glass windows upstairs and down. A wide porch wrapped around the entire house. Upstairs was a balcony that wrapped around all four sides of the house, the posts holding it up appeared to be oak. The roof was also green metal. There were two chimneys made of stone. It was a beautiful house, and I couldn't wait to see the inside. "My grandpas and my dads and uncles built the house to my grandmother's specifications. She said that she wanted a big house to raise a big family. Grandma always got what she wanted. I hope you like what you see. I really want you to be happy here for the rest of your life."

I turned to Bryce. "It is the most beautiful house that I have ever seen." I thought about what he said. "Did you say 'grandpas', and 'dads'? As in more than one?"