Chapter One

Having been groomed from birth to be married off to the first man your parents saw fit for you, you felt completely justified in absolutely detesting them with all of your being. Since you could understand their speech you could remember your father sitting you on his lap, dressing you in the finest of dresses, and telling you that you'd make him so much money, you'd be a beautiful girl that would be married off to a rich man and make your parents so happy. When you were younger the thought excited you, but as you grew you realized that your parents saw you as a human paycheck and didn't care about you at all.

Once you hit your teenage years you rebelled, often sneaking out of your window at night to indulge yourself in whatever you felt like at the time, sex, drugs, alcohol, it didn't matter to you. It was destroying you and destroying your parents thoughts of you, you hoped that it would stop them from wanting to marry you off. You thought that maybe, just maybe, if you made yourself unmarriable then your parents would actually love you and you could get clean and have an actual relationship with them.

But of course, as they always did, they proved you wrong.

On your 18th birthday your father started the bidding, the year he had kept you locked in your room, only allowing the windows to open just a crack and keeping your door locked with a padlock so you could not escape. You went through the withdrawls, the pain of not having your various drug and alcohol fixes, but it worked. You were now clean by force, and as you stood in front of this large group of men ready to buy you and marry you, you felt like you wanted to cry. All your life this is what you were told would happen to you, you knew that this day was coming, but even still you were terrified. Wishing your parents would change their mind and love you for once, but the auctioneer still started your bidding, you felt so hopeless.

You stood there with tears running down your face, dripping down onto your expensive dress and staining it. Your father squeezed your arm as he whispered in your ear "wipe those tears off of your face." You did as he told you, thinking there was no use fighting it now.

But much to your surprise, there was silence. You cracked open one eye and saw an unamused crowd of people staring at you, no one was raising their bidding cards. You looked around in disbelief, nobody wanted you. "Young girl, 18 years old? No bids?" The auctioneer looked around and asked, his voice on the loud speaker echoing off of the walls. "Going once, going twice...." You bit your lip as a smile spread across your face, not a single person in this room wanted you to be their wife. This was grand, maybe now your parents would leave you alone and let you do your own thing; Maybe now they'd love you.

Of course not. Your parents were determined to get you sold. Every week they took you to the auction and every week it was the same thing. Nothing, no bids, no nothing. Your father blamed it on your drug use, your mother blamed it on your plain looks. Either way, they were both disappointed in you, they had these high expectations that they had bestowed upon you, and you let them down. You often cried alone in your room, your father had removed the lock so you were allowed to walk around your home, but you often liked to sit alone. You were a disgrace, your parents didn't want you and you figured neither would a man.

One morning you walked downstairs for breakfast. Normally you had to fend for yourself for breakfast, often limiting yourself to just a bowl of fruit or a small pastry before disappearing back into your room. But this morning was strange. Your father greeted you at the stairs with a kiss on the cheek, and as he the strong scent of pancakes and sausages filled your nostrils. "Goodmorning, my beautiful daughter!" Your father said, taking your hand and pulling you down the landing and to the kitchen. "Morning dad." You mumbled, this was strange. Your father hadn't said more than five words to you since your failed auction a few weeks ago, why was he all of the sudden acting like you were his most prized possession? "Come my dear, let's eat breakfast. Your mother has cooked all kinds of good foods for our guests!"