Chapter 2: Is she safe?

"Where am I?" she finally says. She has a scared look on her face. No one answers.

"Where did she come from?" Alby asks Minho.

"We found her in the maze, just laying there," Minho tells him.

"And you just decided to bring her here?" Alby asks angrily.

"It was Thomas's idea!" Minho exclaims.

"Where am I?!" the girl yells again. Again she is ignored.

"Why exactly did you do that?" Alby asks Thomas.

"She could be a clue to escape! Or even the key to escape. Whatever she is, we need to investigate," Thomas says.

The boys around her are still staring at her. Wondering if she is evil or what Thomas said.

"What do we do? She is from the maze! For all we know she could be stung and about to go crazy on us." Gally says proudly.

"Let's check." Alby says. By now the girl is very angry.

"What?!" the girl says, "Will someone please tell me what the hell is going on?!" she asks agitated.

"We don't know you, we can't trust you, so we are going to check if you have been stung by a griever," Gally informs crassly.

"Check me?" she wonders. But she is ignored.
Alby cocks his head at Gally, Zart, and Newt.

"Lift her shirt!" Alby yells.

"What!? No way! You are not lifting my shirt you freak!" She yells and tries to get away but Gally holds down her arms against the cart and Zart gets her left leg. Newt reluctantly holds her right leg down.

"Stop! Stop! Please stop!" the girl screams, but they continue. Alby slowly lift up her shirt to look for the mark of a griever. The crowd leans in for a closer look while the girl continues to scream and squirm.

Finally Newt says, "I think she's clear!" and Alby releases. Then everyone else follows. The girl pulls down her shirt as her face becomes bright red. Angry and abashed, the girl says,

"What the hell is your problem!"

Gally steps forward.

"How about you shut your shuck mouth so we can figure out what to do with you!" he yells.

"Easy Gally," Newt says.

"I'm sorry," the girl says angrily, "i'm the one who just got assulted!"

"I said shut up!" Gally says and pushes the girl off the metal cart and she falls to the dirt ground.

"Gally cool it!" Minho says. Thomas extends his hand out to help her but she turns away and gets up on her own. She stands and walks away, toward the homestead. All the gladers are either shocked, impressed, or astounded. We all stand as she walks further away.

"Go after her." Alby finally says to Newt. He nods and jogs over. And without warning, Thomas joins Newt.