Chapter 12: Ready?

After Thomas leaves I sit on the bed alone, what just happened? did I just hug him? Why were me and Newt so close last night? I wish I could go back and...

"Greenie?" I hear someone say and I am snapped out to my daze.

"Huh?" I respond.

"You really space out a lot don't you?" Newt asks me.

"Uh... sorry," I apologize, "what do I do now?" I try to change the conversation.

"Get ready for a hard day at work greenie," Newt confirms.

"Can I at least shower first, I'm so dirty!" I plead and Newt eyes me down.

"You are not dirty, at least compared to the rest of us," Newt states.

"Do you have showers?" I ask nervously.

"Ya, but they don't lock," Newt tells me awkwardly.

"So?" I ask.

"Well unless your fine with the door creaking open every time you turn around and everyone seeing you..." Newt says.

"Ugh," I groan.

"But I could guard the door for you, if you want," Newt offers nervously.

"Yes! Please! I really want to shower!!!" I exclaim.

"Alright, get a towel and meet me at the showers near the homestead.

He leaves and I am so exited I grab a towel from the corner of the room and skip out the door and see an unexpected sight.

Every glader is still asleep. I expected them to be up and working! Maybe these boys are just lazy and take long to get up. Even more perfect time to shower.

I run over and see Newt standing awkwardly against the shower door,

"All your greenie," Newt suggests.

I jump in and close the door, then I take off my shirt, well actually Newts, and hand it to him over the door.

I can just imagine him blushing. Then I give him my pants, bra, and underwear.

Then I turn on the water and the coldness pierces my skin, but soon it warms up and I start to hum, the nature of singing in the shower just comes to me.

At first it starts slow humming and then quiet singing and it advances,

"[Quiet]
Shine bright like a diamond

[Medium]
Find light in the beautiful sea
I choose to be happy
You and I, you and I
We're like diamonds in the sky
You're a shooting star
I see a vision of ecstasy
When you hold me, I'm alive
We're like diamonds in the sky

[Loud]
I knew that we'd become one right away
Oh, right away
At first sight I felt the energy of sun rays
I saw the life inside your eyes

[Very Loud]
So, shine bright tonight
You and I
We're beautiful, like diamonds in the sky
Eye to eye
So alive
We're beautiful, like diamonds in the sky

Then I turn off the shower and Newt hands me the towel.

Before I come out he says, "uh... that was kinda loud..."

"What?" I say because I can't hear him.

Once I wrap it around myself I open the door to see Newt scratching his neck and every glader surrounding the showers smiling and also confused.

"Holy..." I see when I notice all the gladers staring at me, then I realized it was because they heard me singing and it woke them up. But to my surprise, they weren't angry.

"What!?" I said to break the awkward silence between everyone even though I knew what.

Accordingly, they all starting clapping. And I started to blush but I took a bow to hide it

After a while, Newt finnaly said,
"Alright Slim it!" And everyone went back. Then Newt and I walked back to his room.