One Last Glance

"Who would've thought Duncan would make it to the finale?" Trent snarled behind a pair of sunglasses.

We had to take a bus to the Aftermath Studio, which wasn't that far from the film lot either. I found a seat across the isle from Trent and Justin.

Ever since Justin had gotten eliminated, he and Trent have been oddly friendly with each other. I had been under the impression that they did not get along. In fact, the two of them got a separate room, and Tyler and I stayed in his room. It's better than pressing four into a room though. We still hang out a lot, and play our stupid games together, but the novelty of it had devalued after a while.

Oh yeah, and then there's the deal with Cody...

-------

"Cody, we just aren't right for each other. I'm cold and sarcastic and selfish – you deserve better than that. And you have an uncontrollable loyalty to Gwen, and I deserve better than that. Plus I didn't even want to date until I was completely done with school, so ending it where I did was the easiest thing I could do. It's best for both of us"

Cody took a breath. One he had been holding above his head in hope. I frowned, searing in guilt. But I stand by what I say; it's best to leave it where we are.

"After the finale, can I at least have your number? Can I still talk to you? Play Team Fortress 2 with you?"

I stifled a laugh. That was one of the cutest things I've ever heard.

"Of course. We make pretty good friends"

A smile emerged from his thin lips. A small smile, but a genuine one.

"Plus," I added hesitantly, "I bet anything there will be a season three to suffer through"

-------

Being in the competition sucks, but being in the Aftermath peanut gallery is majorly worse. You're being caged without the promise of one million dollars. I know it only took an hour or so to film the whole thing, but it seemed so much longer than that. By the time the voting came, my hair (which I had spent 20 minutes blow drying to perfection this morning) was soggy with sweat.
I was seated in my usual spot between Cody and Zeke. I don't think anyone was forcing us to take the same seat each time, but I crave consistency.

One of the first things I noticed, was that Gwen and Trent were sitting together. They've actually been since Gwen got eliminated, which makes me believe that someone had instructed them to for the sake of drama. There was clear tension between them, but I could tell his mind was elsewhere. Gwen wasn't on his mind.

The peanut gallery was filled to the brim, and it had been getting more and more intolerable to be in the lobby of that mouldy hotel. When I do, there's always something ridiculous going on. Courtney and Heather screaming at each other, Harold trying to woo LeShawna, Geoff accidentally breaking the light fixture. It's never calm enough out there for me to be comfortable, so I just got the tea from Tyler.

The finale to forever to film, and all for it to come to a vote. The thing was that both Duncan and Beth are equally insufferable to me, but I voted for Beth mostly because I know how much Trent and Justin loathe Duncan. But also partly because he grabbed my lip that first day of hell. And threatened to behead me. And pantsed me. Okay I had every reason not to vote for him.

--------

When the votes decided Duncan the winner, I was honestly indifferent. Big deal, punk won the money, I just wanted to go home. Through everything that's happened here and all the people I met, I just wanted to let go of it, make it not a big deal.