Chapter 3

Day’s perspective

I pace around on the streets, trying to sort out my thoughts. If I thought this memory was bad, the next one was worse.

While my memories would slide into my mind soundlessly, this recollection comes painfully, as if something was taking control of my mind.

I see June laughing as my mother dies at the hands of Commander Jameson, as if she was watching a comedy show. I remembered June leading the Republic to my house, but I had not remembered it this way.

“Foolish boy, as if I wanted anything to do with him,” June snickers, laughing along with someone. I struggle to remember his name, and I was answered straight away. Thomas.

So this is who June really is.

Another memory comes to mind, with an acute pain accompanying it.

This time June is with me in the interrogation room, standing with an evil grin on her face, as if I was a prized deer she captured during her hunt.

I might as well be.

“Listen up, I just told the soldiers to kill your brother, what’s his name? Eden?” She says, “You really amuse me with your stupidity, Day. Republic’s most-wanted criminal has a weakness for girls, you should have been caught long ago.”

Eden. I must protect Eden from her.

I clear my mind and I realise I am clutching my head, squatting on the side of the road, screaming in pain. Other memories came so soundlessly and naturally, why was this one so forced? Like something was forcing them into my brain…

“Are you okay?” A girl with dark hair leans over me. June. I push her away and she screams, crashing into the wall. I blink several times and I realise she isn’t June after all. But there was no time to apologise. I race to find Eden. If she wanted to kill him back then, surely she still wants to kill him now.

I run as fast I can, repeating Eden’s name, as if I was afraid to forget.