Chapter 13-15

Chapter 13

Day’s perspective

Perhaps it was too much for my body to handle—I fainted, a very unheroic thing to do, but so what if my actions are heroic, considering I can’t even control my mind and my body? What I had remembered at the hospital was June holding a knife, holding my brother in a headlock position, and using the tip of the razor-sharp blade to trace his bare neck into a bright-red smile. Fake, I remind myself. All fake.

Doctor Susan had told me the fake memories were twisted versions of real ones, but unless I forgot, this memory was an entirely made-up encounter, not based on a real situation I was put in. I tried to tell myself it wasn’t real, but the Alterer messed up my brain and unscrewed the part that was holding in my anger. Of course, not literally.

Then, Nikolai dragged me out. I never liked him—and he detests me, but I bet he detests everyone.

Moreover, I saw the way he looked at Tess, and how Tess looked at him. He always wore that scowl on his face, but as soon as he saw Tess, it vanished, and they were looking at each other as if nothing else mattered in this world, as if the other was the most beautiful thing they had ever seen. It was the face you would have if you finally found something you had been looking for, for years. It was the face you would have if you were underwater, but still breathing. Eyes wide and all, filling with light, like you were enveloped in darkness since forever.

Love at first sight. I wonder if this is how I looked at June. But of course, she had not looked back at me this way. Nor had she replied that she loved me too, the first time I said it.

Just then, someone visits me in my little quarantine room. I know her—Amethyst, Nikolai’s sister, and out of all the people in the world, Nikolai seems to hate her the most, and Amethyst likewise.

“Daniel Wing,” She says. “I am the new in-charge of the medical research department. I am here to request that you cooperate with us. We will have to research on you to give you a cure, but of course there is a very little chance of finding a cure. However, I have done quite a bit of research and if you allow us to experiment, I will most likely be able to prescribe you something that will prolong the span of which you stay sane, and maintain control on yourself.”

I nod. “I’m prepared for it. I just… want my life back.”

“We’ll try our best.”

Chapter 14

June’s perspective

“Elector?” I enter after knocking.

“Ah, June. I believe we can set off soon,” Anden rises and brushes himself off.

“I have stepped up our security measures. Security is as tight as it can be.”

“Excellent. Shall we?”

I nod and we head to the balcony’s podium.

“People of the Republic,” Booms Anden and everyone falls silent. “We have experienced betrayals, and found spies within our military, as well as in the medical departments. But have you all forgot? We learn from our mishaps, we grow stronger from incidents like these. From tomorrow onwards, we will put more of our soldiers through tests top ascertain their loyalty, using lie detectors, interrogation, and will immediately remove those who fail, and severely punish those found to be helping the Combatants, our new threat. We have stepped up measures, and shall introduce trusted people who have fought alongside the Republic, and have proven their loyalty. I place my complete trust in these soldiers. Also, I would like to introduce my two long-lost cousins that have crossed the border, Miss Amethyst Chase and Mr Nikolai Chase.” Amethyst and Nikolai step forward.

“First, I would like to appoint Nikolai as Captain of Los Angeles City Patrol 8, welcome Frederick Hayward and Ed Jayson to Los Angeles City Patrol 10, as well as Kennedy Waygem to Patrol 19,” I say, welcoming the additions to our military. I remember when Metias was Captain of Los Angeles City Patrol 8, the position Nikolai has taken over.

“Also, I, Amethyst Chase, will be the in-charge of the new department: Medicinal Scientific Research and Development (MSRD). Our new department cooperates with the Colonies’ Meditech, as well as the United Cities’ research departments.”

Next, a lot of formal things are done, more assurance from the Elector and the Princeps—a role I was once competing for. But I tune out mostly, thinking about Day. Amethyst has told me about the research she was willing to do, and Day’s permission. Day would be experimented on, and they might find a cure, however slim the chances are, if any, but it is almost confirmed Amethyst will be able to find a treatment to prolong the span Day stays sane and in control. There may be hope.

It is best to think positively in situations like this, anyway.

Chapter 15

Day’s perspective

How long has it been? Days? I have been tested on, held myself back as they experimented. I was beginning to lose hope, but I barely had any when we started off anyways, when Amethyst burst in, a bright triumphant smile on her face.

“We did it! We found something to prolong the span you stay sane!”