Chapter 23

June’s perspective

“So how did you tell it was me?” I ask Anthony Parker. “My disguise hid me well.”

He laughs. “It did, Miss Iparis. It truly did, and your acting was excellent. Some books say in the past there was movies and shows, without propaganda, and the best actors won awards, one of which was named the Oscars. You would have won an Oscar, my June.”

“I am not your June,” I spit the words out with venom coursing throughout, but Parker doesn’t seem to care.

“Not Day’s either eh? I have no idea why Day is still sane, but it won’t be for long.”

“Ha, and too bad you didn’t catch him,” I say, but only guessing, praying that Day was indeed out of danger. “You did something to my earpiece.”

“I did, I did. I have Combatants in the research departments, and they managed to make yours malfunction, thankfully. And coming back to your first question, we have trackers implanted in your marks. I saw two marks from Miss Chase and I had to guess your plan. Seems I was right. Too bad that useless Franwell gave you information, so I’m afraid we have to kill you. And I will kill Franwell too.”

I let myself laugh a dark laugh. “You truly have no heart, am I right? You act like you care, but you don’t. Your Combatants are disposable to you. Nick was passionate about his job, and you’re so willing to kill him, right?”

“Only figured out now, Miss Iparis? I had high expectations of you, the Republic’s prodigy, and the one who had 1500 in a trial. Do you not know who I am?”

Come to think of it, he was familiar. Only when I saw the scar on his cheek did I remember. “Harry Kayford. You were at Drake.”

Anthony—I mean Harry—changed an awful much. He used to be the bespectacled loser in Drake who never fit in, who people underestimated and felt he didn’t belong. I suspected kids bullied him awfully, and I recognized that scar, because I was the one who caused it.

“Clever child. I always envied you for your intelligence, I even genuinely loved you. And you rejected me, June. At prom, at the lockers, everywhere. Now I want revenge, sweetheart, and I will have it. And you hit me June, with that vase. That was when I stopped.”

“You were trying to take advantage of me,” I reply, instinctively crossing my arms over my chest, but I shouldn’t have done it, shouldn’t have let him know I was a little afraid.

He smirked. “Whatever, you’ll die anyway.”

“I don’t care about my demise.”

“But surely you would care if you saw him tortured in front of your eyes, wouldn’t you?” He stepped aside, revealing a very bloody and beat-up Day lying on the floor.