Chapter 16

June’s perspective

I burst through the doors of the MSRD room. It was a vacant one, reserved for visiting or planning or something like that.

Amethyst called a meeting as soon as she found the drug that can prolong Day’s span of being sane and in control, and it was harmless to take. She calls it “Anti-Alterer”, a weird name really, but who cares what it’s called?

Inside the room are people like Day, Tess, Eden, Amethyst, even the Elector himself. Behind me is Nikolai, probably here hoping to see his sister fail.

“Nikolai, who invited you here?” Says Amethyst disapprovingly. Nikolai merely flings himself onto a chair. “Does it really matter? I believe I can go anywhere I want.” With this, Amethyst scowls.

“Now that we’re all here, we can begin. I have tested the drug on Day, and it works. He’s sane now, for a longer period than he ever was before. I believe Day can stay normal forever, as long as he takes the drugs. And I have also invited you here because of this,” Amethyst holds up a golden card. “It’s an invitation to a celebration organized by the Combatants. It was sent to me, as well as Day.”

“And why would you have such an invitation?” Asks the Elector.

“The Combatants has heard of my capabilities, and they have told me they needed me, and offered a lot to me. I am not going to betray the Republic, but I wanted to investigate more, thinking the information can be helpful to you lot. Day has the invitation because they think I haven’t created the Anti-Alterers and that he has already succumbed to the Alterer. Apparently, they have underestimated our abilities. We already have the mark of the Combatants.” Amethyst and Day roll up their sleeves to show the crescent moon with the line across tattooed onto their skin.

“And how do we know you aren’t already a part of them, and are laying a trap for us. What makes you think we will trust you?” Asks Nikolai, unconvinced.

“Why do you think I’ve created the Anti-Alterers if I was? Meanwhile, I am willing to go for whatever tests necessary to make you all believe me, Day as well. Also, I have found out that the Combatants are funded by Antarctica.”

Anden clears his throat. “There is no need, and do you know their leader? And what is the point of all of this?”

Amethyst smiles confidently and replies, “I bet it is Anthony Parker. My plan is that they barely know what I look like, so June can disguise herself and go with Day. I have checked with the other departments and they have what is needed for June’s disguise. I can go there myself to investigate, but I believe the Republic’s prodigy will do better.”

“But it may not be safe. What if June is discovered?” Day quickly asks at the same time I reply that I was willing to do it.

“I believe June can take care of herself,” Nikolai says. “For once, I think Amethyst’s plan isn’t a recipe for disaster.”

“I can do it, I’m sure,” I nod, too surprised at the fact Nikolai is actually standing up for someone to be thankful to him. Day gives in.

“We have a plan, then.”