Chapter 17-18

Chapter 17

Day’s perspective

Honestly, I didn’t enjoy the idea of June going to the Combatants. Never mind if I am discovered, but her?

Amethyst is in June’s room, briefing her on how to act. But I’ve seen it myself years ago when we were working for the Patriots, that June was an excellent actress. Sometimes I would even fall for it and second-guess myself if she was truly acting. Because of things like these, I have taught myself that I must take the most effort, more than anyone else, to trust June.

Suddenly, a wave of pain floods through my system, but not as bad as before. I crouch on the floor as I feel a memory push into my mind, but I fight it and my mind stays blank. Good, I tell myself. The Alterer persists on fighting, and it is no match for the drugs, so I make myself stand.

Amethyst is working on June’s own Anti-Alterers, but hers would be more difficult, and mine was a ‘basic’ as compared to June’s. That was why she worked on mine first. If it all works, maybe June and I can be normal at last.

I pace in the corridors, when I see a girl with a dark ponytail step out.

“Day,” June says.

“June.” She turns to go, but I catch her arm. “Can things go back to how they were ten years ago?”

“I’m sorry… they can’t. You know I didn’t explain it to you back then for a reason.”

“But why? What changed?” I demanded.

“I… I just can’t. I’m sorry,” She replies and walks away.

Chapter 18

June’s perspective

It broke my heart to do that—all I ever wanted was to press my lips to his, or to hold him tight, listening to the steady rhythm of his heartbeat, but I can’t. I have the same reasons I had the last time, ten years ago. If I be with him, I would only bring him harm.

The celebration was tonight. I already picked out a dress, and Amethyst tells me that even if they weren’t sure how she looks like, they know her character.

I let the people do their magic on me, and when they were done, I saw a different girl entirely. Just in case, I wore most of Amethyst’s basic features, the same color of hair and eyes, and loads of makeup, for surely they would recognize me without it. My hair was piled high, and I donned a red dress.

After they were done, I couldn’t even recognize myself. I leave the room for the others to see me, and they all were shocked at my transformation, even Nikolai showed a little shock, before resuming his scowl immediately.

“Is that really you, June?” Tess gasps when Day arrives. He was the most shocked as his eyes scanned me, and I suddenly felt more conscious of myself. We leave the building and are about to set off when I realised I forgot something.

I rush up and stop myself, sliding behind a wall, just peeking out when I see what was happening. Tess and Nikolai stayed behind and now they stand, Nikolai tucking Tess’ hair back. He leaned down, about to kiss her, and I silently leave, hating to spy on people like that. I rush up the steps to get my paper clip ring that was fashioned into a long necklace that went down all the way when worn, so no one could see it.

“Wish me all the best,” I whispered to the ring as I fasten the chain.