Chapter 16

~~~~~~~~~~

Who to Trust?

~~~~~~~~~~

"So time really is against us." I murmured.

"Can we do anything to slow this down? To figure out how to fight back?" Octavia asked.

"I'll do my best. You must go comfort everyone. And help Ana figure out a plan." She hurried out of the room.

"We're going to need one. The battle has begun."

~~~~~~~~~~

(Kate's POV)

A sudden piercing pain went through my head and awoke me from my unruly dreams. A thought ran through my head, but I passed it on quickly. Eri was asleep next to me, her small shape curled up under the gigantic covers. 

A dark spasm shook my body. Eri whined in pain, shivering from the power that had a hold over both of us. I could feel the coldness of an evil shadow that tried to get a grip on my mind. 

Then, swift as it had come, it was gone. I could sense a warm, purple veil covering my mind. It felt like protection. It felt like Aia's warmth, her kindness, her strength. 

My mate, Kenton, appeared in the doorway, looking as if he were about to go wolf any second. 

Eri opened her eyes and hugged me tightly, her small hands gripping the cloth of my nightshirt. 

Kenton was breathing heavily, but started to calm when he saw we weren't hurt. 

"Are you alright?" Kenton asked, his voice still shaky. 

"Alive enough. What was that? How could all of us feel it?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady for Eri's sake.

"No idea."

'Kate!' Ana's soft, but worried voice filled my head. 

'Ana! What happened? Are you okay?'

'I'll explain later. Is Eri alright? Is she safe?'

'We both are. Kenton is here with us.'

'Aiden and I will be there soon.' She muttered, just as she could be heard running down the hallway.

When she arrived, Ana took Eri in her arms, kissed her head, and held her close. When she became calm again, Ana began to describe what happened. Aiden said nothing as we listened to her, pain still evident on his face.