Chapter 17: Darcy's Story

"I wasn't always bad. No, I was good once." Darcy began. "I was born with my unusual powers. I only found out about them as I grew older. My family was ashamed of me. I couldn't believe how selfish they were. They only cared about themselves and how foolish they would look to have a daughter cursed with such powers. So I took it upon myself to learn how to control them."

  "It went terribly wrong. I ended up setting fire to a room. The fire spread and I couldn't stop it. My family was almost killed. After that I was hardly trusted alone. A few years passed and it was time to see who would take the throne. It was between me and my younger sister Alice. We went through training and I failed at everything it seemed. I was the laughing stock of town."

  "School was no better. Everywhere I went people would make fun of me. Then I met a boy. His name was Ryan and he was the only person in the world who seemed to care about me. I never told him about my powers. I feared he wouldn't love me anymore. I decided to wait until closer to the coronation of either me or my sister to see who would take the throne."

  "Well, I trained super hard with the support of Ryan. Then the time came to show my family of what a good ruler I would make. I was ready. I would have taken the throne with me being the oldest but as I began the first test I was messed up by Alice. She was planning on making a fool of me and she did. She deliberately left something out and I tripped on a small toy ball."

  "I lost control of my fire powers and burned her. My family thought I did it purposely. The throne went to Alice and I was fuming. It was the night after her coronation ceremony. A royal party was hosted, and everyone showed up. We were having a good time. Ryan had come and we were talking about the accident that had happened. I never told him that my powers had caused the fire."

  "Soon though he suggested that maybe Alice had left out the toy on purpose. Then I thought about and realized that Alice had been setting me up to fail all along. I grew angry and confronted her. I was so angry that I shot a fire blast at her. My powers were revealed to everyone. They called me names and they some tried to hurt me."

  "I wasn't going to take this. All my life I was pushed around and shunned. Not this time. I was always nice about it but this time I let my anger flare. It consumed any good I had left in me. I set fire to the building. I didn't care about anyone anymore. Not even my love. What if his love was false? He would only hate me. I ran away and set fire to the whole town as I went."

  "I walked away without a second glance. "Let them burn." I thought. I decided to make my own place. A place where I could be me. I embraced my anger and powers. I changed. I was never going back."