Private Hell

Erik's POV

The next few days were hell for Erik.  He waited for Christine to tell him the truth, but each time she would open her mouth or look at him sadly, she would quickly compose herself and smile.  His temper flared each time, and he began to become the monster he used to be.  He knew Christine felt it, the dark moods he would go into, and the amount of time he spent in the music room.  But at the moment, he didn't really care what she thought....

Christine's POV

Christine was going mad, she knew it.  Erik was withdrawing from her and she had no idea why.  And she was being eaten alive by the guilt.  She didn't know how much longer she could keep it in..

One day, as she was eating breakfast, and Erik was composing, a knock sounded at the door.  She looked around to see if Nadir was getting it, but saw nothing.  So, she quickly stood and ran to the door.  upon opening it, she discovered a small boy, maybe six standing there.  he had blonde kinky curls and was wearing very old, worn clothes.  Christine smiled down at him and blinked, surprised.

He held out a basket of flowers.  There were periwinkles, daisies, sunflowers, and lilacs.  "Would you care to buy a flower, Madame?"  He chirped, his voice soft and silky.  "Oh yes, I would."  She smiled before running to her coin purse and pulling out as many small coins as she had and handing them to the boy.  

"How many does that buy?"  She asked.  The boy stared at the coins and grinned.  "I don't know, Madame, but that sure is a lot."  She laughed and picked out three daisies.  "You keep the rest."  She ordered gently.  

"Thank you, Miss."  He said before turning and running off on ungraceful, chubby legs.  

Christine shut the door and slid down to th floor, tears pouring from her eyes.  SObs racked her frail frame as she held her face in her hands.  Oh, the despair she was in!  All she ever wanted was to be an opera singer, and to have children!  And now she had neither of those things!  

Suddenly, she felt a presence in the room and snapped her head up.  erik was standing in the doorway, his face cold, yet concerned.  He stepped closer and reached out a hand to help her up.  She took it gratefully, and stood, wiping her tears.  

'What is the matter, Christine."  he asked smoothly, placing a cold hand on her shoulder.  She swallowed and looked at his pleading yet unsurprised eyes.

"I... I haven't been completly honest with you."  She whispered.