Chapter 6

I came home, shaking, out of breath and on the verge of crying. I was so worried something bad would happen. I tried to help my mom, but instead I made a mess of things! I did not want to face my mom, what would she think? So many thoughts went through my head, I couldn't think straight anymore. Without greeting my mom I went upstairs and threw myself on the bed. Now what?

I lay on the bed without moving, just staring at the ceiling, and I must have fallen asleep eventually. When I woke up, it was already dark, and I could smell fire again... I slowly got up and walked to the window to see where the fire was located this time. Right at that moment my mom came storming into my room: 'Jane! We have to go, right now, we have to get out of the house, the restaurant is on fire!' She panicked and dragged me by my arm, out of the room and into the hallway which was filled with smoke. We stumbled down the stairs and the combination of smoke and sheer panic made me feel like I was suffocating. When we got downstairs I saw flames coming from the restaurant. We left through the back door and ran out onto the streets, where the fire brigade had already arrived. From this place we could clearly see flames blaze through the cracked windows of the restaurant. We both stared at it in utter shock, unable to move. A fireman came up to us and guided us to an ambulance. We got handed a bottle of water and blankets got put around our shoulders. With blaring sirens we were driven to the hospital, where they checked our lungs. I kept coughing and in combination with my asthma it got so bad that the doctors decided that I had to stay for the night. My mom could stay too, it was not like we could return home anyway...

*a few hours later*

From my bed in the hospital room I could see my mom make phone calls in the hallway. A police man had just visited us and told us that the fire was most likely the work of the mafia. It for sure wasn't an accident, as the windows had been smashed and a Molotov cocktail had been thrown in. Did we perhaps know anything about this, had we been threatened, had we spoken to anyone who could possibly be related to the mafia? We both said no, I didn't have the heart to admit that this was all my fault... Now I had to watch my mom call my dad, the insurance company, and a hotel to book a room for a while, all while she was trying to hold back her tears. I felt so so bad, I wanted to yank out the tubes in my hand and run away to disappear forever. All of this was because of me, if only I hadn't come up with that stupid idea to hand out flyers... But no, I couldn't leave, I had to be there for my mom! That was the least I could do after all the pain my dumb actions had caused her...

She finished her call and walked into my room, where she sat herself beside me on the bed. She stroke a lock of hair from my face and looked at me with a concerned look in her eyes: 'Jane, love, dad will be flying over tomorrow to help us out with the insurance and everything, and with... with selling what's left of our house and the restaurant. We might not get much money from it, but together with the insurance money it should be enough to return to England and rent an apartment there for a while, until we get back up on our feet... Oh love don't cry, it's okay! We're going back, we know it might be a bit of a shock, but it's what you wanted all this time, right? We'll be staying here for maybe another month and then we'll go back home! I'm so sorry that this happened, I'm so sorry that we put you in this situation and that you had to endure all of what happened tonight and in the months before, all because of us! It seems now that we really did not think this through well enough... and I can't say how sorry I feel that you got dragged along in this! But we'll be going home soon now, and then all of this will soon be nothing more than a bad dream in your memories, I hope..." She hugged me, 'everything will be okay sweetheart!'. I sobbed on her shoulder, I really couldn't stop crying even though I tried to be strong in front of her. I had not expected this... now I had definitely ruined their dreams! Just one more month, maybe two... and then this adventure that I had just gotten used to would be over... no more restaurant, no more Italy...

If mom had told me this just days ago I would have been so happy! But not now... not now that we had nearly died (it did feel like that), because I had basically directly sent the mafia in our direction! Not now that my parents' greatest treasure and pride had got up into flames, because of... me. And not now that I had lied to them and the police about it, and had no idea how to fix this...

All night I lay awake overthinking everything, and when I did fall asleep I got haunted by terrible nightmares. Around dawn I gave up on trying to sleep and decided to listen to some music instead. But not even Mika could make me feel better this time...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whee, finally an update! It's a bit short again, but at least I got back to writing, so you'll have to take just that for now! 

I wanna thank Lori and Mae for giving me new motivation to continue writing and uhh idk I hope they'll continue to motivate me, so that hopefully this story won't end up like Mika's book ;)