Chapter 10

We kept on driving for a while and although I couldn't really see much of the outside, I assumed we were going towards the outskirts. At some point we had gotten onto the highway, and now we were leaving it again. The roads became worse and more bumpy the longer we drove on, until at some point we arrived on a sand road which I assumed led to a house. The driver stopped at the side of the road, in front of an old metal gate. Mario got out of the car and I could hear him talk to someone, a guard maybe? Then he got back in, the gates were opened and the driver started the car again. The road now went up to a hill, and when we had reached the top the driver parked the car and gestured for us to get out. Giulio grabbed my arm and dragged me out of the van. I looked up and in the dark I could see the contours of a large, stately villa. It had plastered walls. In the dark I couldn't really make out the colour, but I guessed it was a shade of yellow. It looked really beautiful, peaceful almost, if it weren't for the fact that everywhere I could see men patrolling with guns. This place was heavily secured. The villa of a capo... Located on top of the hill it was an ideal position to spot unwanted visitors from miles away. But who would even dare to come here anyway? The police not, that was for sure. They were either bribed or blackmailed and if arrests were made it were always the tiny fish, never the big ones. Here, they were safe. Which means that I... wasn't.

Suddenly I felt cold sweat dripping down my back. So far anger had taken over my fear, but now it really kicked in. They could really do anything with me, and it would take ages before anyone would find out. No one had seen us leave and besides, each day there were many teenagers who disappeared. And it wasn't unlikely that I, a rebellious teenager who had come to Italy against her will, would run away too. Before the police would actually start investigating things thoroughly, it would probably be too late... My legs became weak but I couldn't stop walking, because Giulio kept dragging me towards the house. I tried to look around and saw that Mika and Mario were walking a few steps behind us. The driver had turned around and in the distance I saw the red lights of the van move away further and further. I was sure no other car would come by in a long time. And the main road was so far away...

We went through another gate which gave access to the garden and walked up a few stairs to the front door. A young woman, about 20, in a maid's uniform quickly opened the door for us. She must have already seen us coming. I could see the respect and fear in her eyes when Giulio walked pasted her and also the questions when she saw me. But of course, she didn't ask. Never ask. People like this had to exist in the shadows of the big bosses, if they didn't want to become a target themselves. Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil.

We crossed a few rooms, all of them very luxurious and decorated with flair. Stylish, Giulio. I was led into a room with a desk. Behind it was a chair that almost looked like a throne, in front of it a simple wooden chair, on which I was sat down. Giulio sat himself on the throne chair. Of course, the capo, almost king in this house and on this hill, versus me, the sweaty, anxious teenager who was still holding her bladder because Giulio's men had interrupted my peeing session. Giulio gestured for Mika and Mario to come standing next to him. He clicked with his tongue and reclined in his chair. "Sooooooooo... what exactly happened?" He looked at me and then at Mario and Mika. Mario took the lead: "we found her in the bushes, boss. She was hiding there and clearly spying on us!" Giulio looked at me: "what were you doing there?" I swallowed and replied: "I had been waiting for Mika with a couple of other people. It took very long, though, and after a while I had to pee and I had a cramp in my legs, so I decided to walk around a bit. I wanted to pee in the bushes, but then I suddenly saw Mika and Mario. And uhh, I recognized Mario from earlier because I had seen him before when I was promoting my parents' restaurant and he threatened me. You guys are also responsible for the fire, aren't you?". Giulio cocked an eyebrow. "Ahh, so that was you! Interesting. You're a bit of a rompipalle, aren't you? Causing too many troubles for my liking." He turned to Mika: "Mika, she's your fan, what do you think we should do with her?" Mika turned red and Giulio winked. "Don't worry, dear, I won't bring you in that difficult position. But I think we can all agree that this is a troublesome situation. You know too much, little girl. And people who know too much..." he made a cut throat gesture and I froze in my chair. He saw my face and laughed with mirth. "Good thing she already peed in those bushes, otherwise she would have now peed in her pants! No, but for real," his face turned serious again, "you know too much. Me and Mika weren't meant to be exposed as mafia members! We're just nice guys, aren't we, Mika?" Again a wink and he smirked. Mika looked uncomfortable. I cleared my throat, hesitating before I spoke. "I... I indeed know you're in the mafia now, but my question is, why...?" Giulio shook his head: "that's not important. Listen, I need to think. It's already past midnight, but I'm sure that a good night's sleep will help me find a solution." He snapped his fingers: "Mario, bring her to the ce- ehh dorms. Our guest deserves some sleep too. And we should treat our guests well, shouldn't we?" This last thing sounded like a threat to Mario. Giulio was probably well aware of his short-tempered personality.

Mario walked over towards me and grabbed me by my arm. "Get up", he grumbled. I did as he said and he led me out of the room and down a flight of stairs. There was a hallway with many doors on both sides, and when Mario opened one I saw there was a tiny room behind it. It had a bed, a chair and a sink. It really did look like a cell. Mario pushed me inside and immediately shut and locked the door behind me. "See you tomorrow!" he said. "Try to sleep and stay quiet, don't yell or scream or I'll have you killed." I didn't answer and I heard him mumble "whatever" as he walked away. I sat down on the bed and sighed. Suddenly, I noticed what was missing in the room. A toilet! And I still had to pee, ohmygod. I didn't want to call for anyone, there was probably no one there who could hear me anyway. I sighed and then laughed at myself. As if peeing was my biggest problem right now...

I checked the time on my watch. Thankfully, I at least still had that, seeing as they took my phone and I couldn't check the time on there. It was already 1 am. I started to feel tired, but I didn't think I would be able to sleep, because I was so worried. If in an hour or so I still hadn't gotten home, my parents would probably start worrying too. But there was nothing I could do to reach them, and maybe I wouldn't even see them again, ever... My life literally depended on whatever Giulio would decide. I felt tears dripping down my face and I wiped them off angrily. I didn't want to cry! I lay down flat on my back on the bed and stared at the ceiling. There were no windows in the room, I felt like it was probably under the ground. I sat up again and tried the door. No way I could break out of that...

I walked back to the bed and threw myself on it, crying for real this time. I don't know how long I had been lying there, but I must have dozed off because I was woken up by the sound of the door unlocking. I quickly checked my watch and saw that an hour had passed. Who would come in at this time?? Had Giulio already ordered to have me killed? I shivered. The door was slowly opened. In the dark, I couldn't see who it was and my eyesight was blurry because I had started crying with fear again. The person walked towards me, I wanted to scream, but he put his hand over my mouth. Ohmygod, he was going to suffocate me. I had to fight, but I couldn't, I was completely frozen. Bye life, this was the end...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*dramatic music* 

Sorry, bit short chapter again, but with a nice cliffhanger! Hope you like it ;))

Image attached is what the house looks like. It's from GTA, but it's actually exactly how I imagined it hahaha. 

Byeee,

-xx- Jaela