Chapter 13: Smiles

The sports festival was over, but other people still talked on and on about Toshinori's victory.

And of course that made him class president. Then me as vice president of class 1A.

I made a lot of new friends and as usual Yamada would annoy me, but it was nice to have him on my side. It made me move on from my parent's death, but that didn't mean I forgot about them.

"Hey Aizawa.." Yamada said leaning on my shoulder, which snaps me back to reality.

I shove him "What do you want?"

He frowns "Don't you think Toshinori is acting a little too nice? He's really jumpy and all.."

"So basically like you?"
"HEY!!"

The glasses boy leans back "I'm serious, I feel like something happened.."

I examine the smiling blonde who was chatting with the rest of our classmates. "Well what do you want me to do about it?"

He pushes me "Talk to him!! You guys are vice and president!!"

DING!! DING!!
The sound of the lunch bell rang through the hallways.

In an instance Yamada runs out
"SEE YAA!!"
"HIZASHI YOU BASTARD!!"

I sighed looking back, only to see the empty classroom. "Where can that guy be anyways..."

I walked through the halls trying to find Toshinori, I look classroom to classroom even checked the lunchroom!!

I huffed, it was hard caring for people. Now you know why I don't do it..

I walked around and ended up outside the gateway. That's when I heard sniffles coming around the corner. "Huh?"

I looked behind me to see Toshinori crying. Tears falling onto the grass lawn as his perfect smile turns into a devastating frown.

"Toshinori!!"

He turns around, quickly drying his tears "Aizawa!! Um... Hey!!" He puts on a smile.

"What's wrong? Everyone's worried about you..." I said.

"It's nothing!! Really!!" Toshinori replied as he scratched the back of his head.

"I don't believe that for a second... tell me what's going on..." I said flaring my eyes with redness.

He flinches and looks down at his feet. "You know that women who helped us from the villain a few months ago.. Nana"

I stare at him. "Yeah, what about her?"

"She... was really special to me..." He looks down at his hands "she was the one who gave me this quirk... the only who believed in me.."

Toshinori told me about a quirk that can pass on other quirks, passing it down to him. And Nana was one of them?

"Where is this going Toshinori?" I said feeling a little nervous.

That's when he starts to break into sobs it was almost hard to understand him. "She's dead!! The only person who cared about me torn away from my life!!"

My eyes widened. "W-What!!"

He kept this sadness away from everyone in class, covering it up with a smile...

I put a hand on his shoulder. "You think she's the only person who cared about you..."

He doesn't answer me, his face filled with tears.

"You have us!! Your friends that care about you... nobody knows your pain because you cover it with a smile.. but some peoplecan see past that.. so why even bother?"

Toshinori smiles
"Because.... Nana told me to smile.. because no matter how scary the situation you need to put on smile to show that you're okay... smiles are what makes you the strongest.."

I look at him in disbelief but also in anger "What kind of bullshit is that!!"

"Aizawa?"

I turn around not even facing him,
Smiles make you stronger?
Since when did that ever occur...