The Fever

I woke up that morning in a cold sweat, panting and panicked. I was so cold. I wrapped my blankets around me and walked over to my mirror. I placed my hand on my forehead and wiped sweat off of it.

There was a knock at my bedroom door. "Emerson, you getting ready for school? You don't have that much time left. I'm heading off to work." My dad said.

"Okay! Love you dad! See you later!" I called back.

I hopped into a warm shower to wash the sweat off and to warm me up. I felt kind of sick but I couldn't be sick on my second day back.

"Emerson?" My dad knocked on the bathroom door a few minutes later.

"Yeah?" I asked as I brushed my teeth.

"Did you by chance go into that door? By the staircase?" He asked. I began to get nervous.

"What door?" I asked nervously.

"Never mind." He responded and left.

I piled myself into winter clothes even though it wasn't winter anymore, it was spring.

_________________

"Emerson, you okay?" Peter questioned looking at my outfit with an eyebrow raise.

"Yeah. I'm fine. I was just really cold this morning." I felt myself getting super sweaty and hot. "Peter I'm really, really hot now." I pulled my jacket off.

"Are you sure you're okay? You don't look very well." He asked with concern.

"I'm fine. I'll be right back." I told him. I quickly went to the girls locker room and changed my sweater to the PE shirt. I sprayed some perfume to rid of the sweat smell.

I went to first period just fine, a little warm but still fine.

"Emerson!" Ned yelled from behind me. I turned around and smiled in his and Peter's direction. I walked up to them.

"Did you get the math homework done?" Peter questioned.

"Shoot, I can't remember." I responded.

"You can't remember if you did your homework?" Peter chuckled.

"Hold on, I'll check." I replied. I opened my binder. I began flipping through the folders until I got to my math folder. A wave of dizziness washed over me. I pulled the paper out, my vision became blurred. I squinted my eyes trying to read it with my head spinning. I looked up at Peter, his face was all blurred I could hardly see him.

"Peter?" I held the paper up for him to read, nothing else was able to come out of my mouth. The paper fell out of my hand, my binder collapsing onto the ground with it. My eyes shut closed and I felt myself fall, fall into Peter's arms.

"Emerson?" He shook me in his arms while he held me. I could see a small amount of light seeking through my eyelids. "Emerson!" He yelled shaking me harder.

Then everything went dark.

I opened my eyes slowly, I had a headache. The bright light from the ceiling blinded me. I sat up and rubbed my eyes until they adjusted to the light. My vision was clear again. I looked around realizing I must be in the nurse's office. I was in the small room with the little doctor bed. I stood up and walked to the door. I opened it.

The nurse was at her desk and Peter was sitting in the chair in front of her desk waiting for me.

"Thank you for the information Peter. You can head to class now if you'd like." She smiled at him. "I'll write you a pass." She told him.