Welcome to New York

"You got your lunch?" My dad reminded me as he grabbed the keys off of the counter.

"Yep." I responded with a nervous smile.

"Hey." My dad walked over to me with an encouraging smile. "You'll do great. You get a fresh new start at a new school." He told me.

"Yeah." I nodded sighing.

"I'm off to work. I'll see you after school."

"Yeah. See you." I picked up my backpack and swung it onto my back.

"Alright. Love you." He blew me a kiss and left.

"Love you too." I sighed. I didn't know what his job was. He couldn't tell me anything about it. We also never really talked about it.

The school wasn't too far from where we lived so I walked. It was spring time anyway. I couldn't help thinking to myself about how nervous I was. How nobody would like me, being the new girl from Texas.

As I walked through the boisterous halls I could hear the conversations of other teenagers my age.

"Peter, the new girl. She's a beauty." I heard. I didn't see who it was, I didn't want to make eye contact with the person. It be awkward. But I was flattered, my face turned a shade of pink.
__________________

"You can come over tonight and we can put it together." Was the conversation I heard after first period before I crashed into a boy.

He wore a blue sweater with a plaid collar shirt under it. His brown hair was perfectly done, not a piece sticking up. His face was a shade of pink when we ran into each other and he had a nervous smile plastered on his face.

"Oh hey." His friend said, "I'm Ned. This is Peter. Who are you?"

"I'm Emerson. Emerson Jones." I smiled nodding my head.

Peter cleared his throat, "Um-uh where-where you from? You're new right?" He stuttered.

"Yeah. I'm new." I chuckled. "My dad and I moved here from Texas due to his business."

"What does your dad do?" Ned asked.

"Honestly, I have no idea. He's like not alowed to tell me. Top secret stuff I guess." I shrugged.

"Is he like some high tech, top secret scientist?" Ned joked.

"Yeah something like that." I replied with a smile.

"That's cool." Peter rubbed his arm.

"Yeah." I shrugged.

"If you don't already have somewhere to sit you can eat with us at lunch." Ned invited me. Peter's eyes went wide and he looked at Ned.

"That would be great. Thank you so much."

Peter's eyes shifted back to me.

"Also..." Ned began, "Would you want to hangout with us tonight?"

I blushed and Peter's eyes were wide and on Ned again.

"Well what are you guys doing tonight?" I questioned.

"Just you know...building a Lego ninja Death Star set." Ned said. Peter stomped on his foot to shut up him. It was nerdy and definitely not my thing but I figured I might as well take the opportunity to make new friends.

"You know what? Sure! Why not?!" I replied with enthusiasm. A soft smile grew on Peter's face.

"Cool." He blushed.

"We'll see you tonight!" Ned waved as he and Peter walked away.

After school I caught up with Peter.